Monday, October 4, 2010

One Woman's Trash Is Another Woman's Treasure

Sometimes the seemingly unexciting, minor events incorporate meaning into life. Sometimes it is the topics I won't commit myself to write about that flow effortlessly and before I know it, what was supposed to be a post about a sushi dinner turns into a random musing about a yard sale. Yard sales require a dedication of time and efforts, but if you are up to the challenge, can prove fun and rewarding. Lugging box after box up flights of stairs from the basement and going through individual items only to slap a price tag on them significantly less worthy than the retail or in some instances sentimental value can take a toll both physically and mentally. a) Boxes are heavy! b) Some sh*t is hard to let go of. On a certain level you understand it is just time. On the contrary, it is a huge relief to get cash for that piece of crap, ugly looking, what the hell was I thinking purchase or what the hell were they thinking gift. In a less severe case are items of mediocre value, perhaps some truly lovely household decor which no longer have a place in your space. Those once useful tools, appliances, electronics and kitchen wares served a purpose and can move on. It is fascinating to observe who picks out what. That ugly picture frame you though for sure no one would want flies off the table, while that vintage / antique piece you thought would go in an instant sits around till the very end. Interesting are the characters who barter with you till they score and those who pays the asking price without a second thought. Who is the seasoned scavenger, attending a sale like this every Saturday morning, to the casual browser who just stopped by on a whim. Rewarding to me is the teenage girl who just scored a stack of Gap, Abercrombie and JCrew clothes at $1 a piece. We were practically giving away a sundress here, a Columbia ski jacket there, a pair of Nine West heels for $2, a Banana Republic tweed button down coat for $1. A woman looking fabulous in a pair of my H&M shades marked $1, I let her have them for the quarter she offered. People went crazy for Mom's dried Hydrangea bunches. I even took one home myself. Neighbors flocked over, some with their dogs in tow. Old neighbors, new neighbors, supportive neighbors (Katie!) who baked us pastries. These napoleons were dreamy pillows of flaky pastry crust sandwiched around a light airy cream.Friends from town stopped by who I hadn't seen in awhile. Multiple parties even let me know they've discovered and have been reading the blog! I love gaining new readers and am truly thankful and appreciative of the support and approval. (Thanks guys!) Whatever clothes, shoes, books and purses didn't sell on Sunday were donated to the Salvation Army. The futon didn't sell (it was a long shot) and neither did those framed pictures above. Those items were moved back to the basement. A portion of the profits were spent on dinner at Inaho - which is the post I intended to write about here before I got carried away in glorious yard sale moments. You just never know where I'll find inspiration. Thank goodness I named my blog after the word.


Next up: The sushi is way more exciting than the front yard scene.

16 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how good it feels to get rid of old crap?! My friend is hosting a clothing swap so I did a MAJOR purge of the closet this weekend. Definitely had a lot of "what was I thinking?" moments. Glad you offloaded some stuff successfully and, damn, those napoleons look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should really have a yard sale. Sometimes you don't realize how much you've gathered along the way!

    Those napoleons look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those napoleons look amazing! Nice neighbors to have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the thrill of a bargain and I would have definitely haggled with you on a few things :-) It sounds like it was a great weekend for you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can find some very cool things at yardsales! All it would take is a flyer on a frathouse and that futon would've been gone! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a yard I would definitely have a yard sale! I give most of my stuff to my housekeeper or the Salvation Army but there are just some things I have trouble giving away because I spent so much money on them! Forgive - I know that sounds horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would've been all over the table of picture frames. I love frames!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She offered a quarter for sunglasses?! Oh my gosh. If they were a dollar anyway, I wouldn't even have thought about trying to pay less!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom is planning a yard sale- she is beyond thrilled to get rid of a ton of stuff!

    Def come to StyleFixx! If you and a guest want to just got to the VIP check in and say my name (Jaime Ganson) and my blog, and you'll be all set! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like it was a success - I haven't been to one of those is far too long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw...buhbye fun pink lamp. This makes me want to hit up a yard sale so bad! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never actually had a yard sale but I've always wanted to! I grew up on a farm so there wasn't a place for it and now I live in an apartment. Maybe one day. I do love going to yard sales and finding great stuff! Glad yours went well!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yard sales are so fun! It's wild -- my mom's flowers/garden plants always sell out quick, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! Is that my green and white polka dot purse??

    ReplyDelete