Friday, March 18, 2011

B&G Oysters | South End

It's Restaurant Week in Boston! Love it or hate it, you all know the drill; the infamous $33.11 prix fix menu exclusive of tax, tip and beverages sees the masses flocking to upscale neighborhood restaurants to get their fill of three course lunches and dinners.
I'm little late this go round as we're almost through week number two! B&G Oysters of Barbara Lynch Grouppo infamy is a tiny subterranean spot on the corner of Tremont and Waltham Streets in the South End; showcasing true to Barbara Lynch form - classic New England Seafood in a polished modern atmosphere. A white marble bar surrounds an energetic open kitchen flanked by polished high tops and funky gold vinyl booths. We sat tucked in a corner nook with front row seats of the open kitchen; witness to a constant out pour of simple yet stunning seafood plates and a vibrant scene of waitresses weaving swiftly through the small space. To start, a glass of vino. I chose the Loimer Grüner Veltliner ($12) a wine bottled especially for B&G Oysters each year. We started with a couple oyster each - Malpeque from PEI and Mayflower Point from Dennisport.
The Malpeque was plump and silky with a milder saltiness, heavier sweetness, and a clean sweet finish. The Mayflower Point was saltier than the latter with an overall medium brine and clean crisp finish.
I wished I could sample the whole index card full, but at $2.75 a pop, these salty gems make a fast easy dent in your wallet. Plus, we had an entire three course meal to dive into!
Adam started with the Clam Chowder served with spicy croutons and lardoons. I sampled a few bites, the broth lent a balanced consistency with permeating flavors of the sea and ample chunks of clam. In short, an excellent clam chowder.
My Lobster Arancini offered four deliciously crispy fried rice balls seasoned with chervil over avocado creme fraiche. Neither of us could pass up the Moules Frites for our entréeWe decided on a whole plate of mussels each, that's just how it was going down. An impressive portion of both moules and frites graced us, piping hot with ringlets of shallots laced throughout the mussel shells and an abundant display of parsley on top.
Adam loved the mussels instantly, but I wasn't completely enamored. They were large and plump, but at times were lacking in flavor since they weren't really soaking what little creamy white wine broth was in that shallow bowl. They weren't bad, they just weren't blow-me-away-good.  The frites were excellent and addictive, with bright green specks of parsley clinging to crispy, salty strands. 
We were offered coffee with dessert - they serve high quality Illy. 
Our plan of attack was to share one of each. The Brown Butter Panna Cotta with its caramelized banana and candied almonds stole the show. That's not to underestimate the Chocolate Cake with peanut butter mousse and peanut brittle as this was a commendable dessert. Our meal was flawlessly paced, lasting about 2 hours in total. We lingered in between courses but never for too long. Our waitress had an interesting disposition about her, as she was not outwardly warm or friendly, but had a more subdued quality in her approach - nice without forcing the charm.
B&G Oysters runs like a well oiled machine. While restaurant week for the most part holds up its end of the bargain, there is no need to wait for a special occasion prix fix menu to enjoy this South End neighborhood gem. I'd be content to sip Grüner and slurp oysters at the bar any night of any week.
550 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116

20 comments:

  1. B & G is always a favorite! The arancini looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't been to B&G, but the arancini and fries look sooo yummy! It's too bad the mussels were subpar. I interviewed Chef Oxaal and they really pride themselves on freshness... did you mention it to the waiter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Emily - I didn't since I still ate them all and since Adam loved them, maybe something might have been "off" with my taste buds. or I was just expecting to be blown away and wasn't?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't participate in Restaurant Week this time around but your meal looks FABULOUS! I can't wait for it to be summer and have a cold beer and oysters outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mealy mussels will turn me off from a restaurant right away, but I might have to try their lobster arancini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I want some of that arancini! I've never actually been to B&G Oysters yet but I definitely want to go someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brown butter panna cotta... yum!!! I should have been there. Ha ha. Sounds like it was a mostly good experience. The lobster arancini sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed it! It is one of my favorites and all your great picks remind me it is worth going back soon - for that arancini alone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want this entire meal!! the arancini look amazing. i love the type on the menus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those french fries look so good! It must have been a great meal if you're willing to travel to the South End instead of just wandering over to Neptune :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara Lynch is, in short, incredible. I have never had a bad experience at any of her restaurants-great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I'm drooling! Wow. GREAT photos! Glad you had such a delicious experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. those french fries look soo good! 7 bucks for a beer is a little ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  14. The panna cotta made me SWOON! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oysters and vino? I could live off of those two!! ;-)

    Happy Weekend Dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, I'm about to eat the screen looking at those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great write-up and photos. Those oysters do look awesome.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am allergic to mussels and oysters and I HATE IT!! why why why why why do I have to miss out on these delicacies! Sometimes I eat oysters anyway because I literally can't resist, my stomach hurts for about an hour but its totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love moules frite! and I love B&G. Looks like a great restaurant week offering!

    ReplyDelete