Monday, December 5, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

The holidays are in full swing and I could not be happier to embrace them! Here are some of my favorite views around the city combined with a little of what I've been up to. A most excellent Thanksgiving was spent at Adam's parents house in Quincy; we feasted in courses, most notably on peanut soup (his Mom's special recipe, so good) and a 34 pound bird (among the usual fixings of green beans, parsnips, potatoes, squash, cranberry sauce) and consumed my pumpkin whoopie pies for dessert.Here in Boston we've been enjoying extremely mild temperatures as December rolls in. I love taking in the picturesque, bright light filled city spaces as they grace us with their presence. I am never one to complain about the weather be it unseasonably warm or ridiculously cold. Snow makes me happier inside than I can explain (where are you snow?!) but then again, so do low heat bills! The Christmas tree in Faneuil Hall is always a welcome sight, as is the vivid blue trellis in Christopher Columbus Park. I'm sure it looks familiar, I take a picture of this trellis every season! This year we attended the official lighting ceremony where Mrs. Menino's introduction was met with neighborhood children caroling plus complimentary Peppermint Mochas and cookies from Starbucks. In other news - our tree is up (better pictures coming soon!) a good majority of my shopping is done, and I even started wrapping presents last night. I have never been so on top of my Christmas shopping, but I'm definitely happy to check people off the list so early.Adam and I got some great deals on Black Friday and I've been on a roll ever since. On Black Friday evening we also ventured out to see The Muppets, starting Jason Segel and Amy Adams. If that's not the feel good movie of the year, I don't know what is. (So. much. fun.) So is walking through Downtown and the Theater District at night. My Mom came into town this weekend for our annual city shopping spree. Along with my sister and Adam, we partook in the 5th Annual North End Buon Natalie Stroll on Friday night (Santa at the Fairmont Battery is always a hoot.) Then us girls got our fill of Harvard Square and Downtown Crossing shops on Saturday. A most excellent lunch was had a Russel House Tavern, I can't wait to share my review!We had drinks at Café Florentine (this North End restaurant and bar has the best ambiance around the holidays!) Eggnog in my coffee and pastries and cannolis from Modern. Always Modern.How have you been embracing the holidays so far?!

22 comments:

  1. I love how you fully embrace every season, whether it's lots of trips to the cape or enjoying the holiday lights! It's a great reminder to pause and take all this stuff in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got our Christmas tree this weekend...which means decorating the Christmas tree while listening to Christmas songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get down to see Christopher Columbus park. That's gorgeous. I had a fantastic day yesterday doing the NYC Christmas routine. I went with Dave's family to see the Nutcracker followed by dept store windows and the Rockefeller Center tree. The crowds were insane but it was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely light, especially the blue ones. I must take my daughter to see that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas is my favorite holiday of all time! I am almost done with my Christmas list, I just need to get one more thing tonight! Feels great to get things done early this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. a. your instagrams are totally causing me to work up an appetite. b. i have yet to even purchase a tree c. that sweater is ON SALE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The big tree in your town is awesome. We only get little bitty trees sparsely decorated in my town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #1, 34 lb bird - um, wow!

    #2, you are making me home sick :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sort of thing definitely makes me happy :) need to get out more and take it all in!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all your pictures. Definitely putting me in the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great light photos!! With this weather, I have been struggling to get in the Christmas spirit! Hopefully the city being all lit up will help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. always modern! fo sho. love the pic above egg nog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you're a Modern fan, and not Mike's....what's with the Mike's hype?
    And Cafe Du Monde - isn't it wonderful?
    I love your xmas tree lighting photos - I missed it. Beautiful photos. I want to try that North end resto, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, such a festive post - makes me want to put on some Xmas tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So festive! Ireland really does it up for Christmas, so we got into the spirit there! I can't wait to stroll around downtown Boston soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blue trellis is beautiful! And really, is it odd that I LOVE Adam's hat?

    Here's to lots of great shopping deals and more stunning Christmas lights. I love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the blue lights in Christopher Columbus Park too! Love your shot of Adam shopping, too funny. I didn't know you were at the holiday stroll! I was too! My review: http://popbopshop.blogspot.com/2011/12/explore-buon-natale-holiday-shopping.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christopher Columbus Park looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhh...The Christmas Spirit, you certainly are an inspiration! My tree is up with the Angel on top & white lights so far. Loved our scurry around the North End during Buon Natalie - Got Stickers?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I, too, love the city during Christmas time! We got our tree on Saturday and decorated the house Sunday...with eggnog in hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful lights and decorations, love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This made me so excited to get our tree this weekend!! (And also that you recommend The Muppets because I want to see it!)

    ReplyDelete