Thursday, November 8, 2018

good books part 7

I'm on a roll with my book recommendations - making up for lost time I guess! Compiled with good books part 5 + good memoirs part 6this is still a large part of what I've read (and loved!) over the past year. 
Before We Were Yours is a powerful historical fiction novel based on a notorious true life scandal, in which Georgia Tann the director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the country. I was unaware of this major historic scandal until I picked up the book, turns out it is pretty mind blowing. We begin in Memphis, 1939, with twelve year old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings living an unconventional life aboard the families Mississippi River Shanty Boat. The tale that unfolds as it alternates with the likable present day character Avery Stafford is riveting, wrenching and ultimately uplifting. 

I positively can not shout enough love for this richly entertaining series. I finished Crazy Rich Asians and immediately purchased the next two; China Rich Girlfriend and Rich People Problems. I lowered my expectations after glancing over some negative reviews; not enough Nick and Rachel was one big complaint about book #3. After reading, I would disagree. Nick and Rachel get just the right amount of page time for their story line and they don't fall completely off the radar as some hasty reviews lead me to believe. A deeper look into the lives of characters who just scratched the surface in book one, like Astrid, Charlie Wu, Su Yi, and Kitty, plus many newcomers proves to be fascinating. The relationships are wildly entertaining, the writing snarky and hilarious, while remaining visually descriptive to the point of stunning; Kevin Kwan ensures you will be entertained at the turn of every page. 


Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine, and the talk of the book world right now. This young lady struggles with appropriate social skills and is none the wiser of her deadpan weirdness and awkward interactions, which transpires into a beautifully written and incredibly funny novel. A #1 New York Times bestseller, I suggest you get to know this out-of-the-ordinary heroine everyone is talking about!

What if the person you’re looking for is standing right next to you, and you don’t even know it? Wryly romantic, Miss You was a terrific and moving summer beach read, one in which the main characters Gus and Tess prove to be realistic and likable. The story unfolds following the trajectories of their separate lives over sixteen years from 1997 - 2013. Eberlen thoughtfully deals with a number of grim issues: autism, cancer, divorce, bereavement, and adultery. Among the struggles and challenges comes destiny; what is ultimately uplifting, heartfelt and meant-to-be!

I took a step outside my comfort zone and into The Thousandth Floor Young Adult series set in New York City 100 years into the future. Sounds bizarre and it is, but I'm pretty sure if you can appreciate my taste in books, or perhaps Gossip Girl (I never watched!) maybe the OC (taking it way back!) you're going to love these, where the drama of high society rich and privilege meets the imaginative and dazzling ways of the future. 

“Equal parts cotton candy and red meat, in the best way.” —People 

“Ultra-readable.” —Vogue 

The Female Persuasion - I enjoyed it! Maybe not as much as the hype, but it's worthwhile. (Heads up: Source for the below because I had a hard time contextualizing.) Charming and wise, knowing and witty, Meg Wolitzer delivers a novel about power and influence, ego and loyalty, womanhood and ambition. At its heart, this novel is about the flame we all believe is flickering inside of us, waiting to be seen and fanned by the right person at the right time. It’s a story about the people who guide and the people who follow (and how those roles evolve over time), and the desire within all of us to be pulled into the light. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved the first two books in the Crazy Rich Asians series, I have #3 but still need to read it! On the other end of the spectrum, I HATED Eleanor Oliphant. I heard such great things, was excited to read it, and then I was in shock with every page at how unlikeable she was. I can't believe Reese is producing a movie about this character.

    ReplyDelete