Monday, October 3, 2011

Delighted by Del Frisco's Lunch

Last Saturday I enjoyed a leisurely media lunch for four at Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse in the expansive modern dining room overlooking a cloudy Boston Harbor.
My second visit was much more relaxed and intimate when compared to my first, which was a lively dinner event attended by 30 or so bloggers. It was nice to experience a different side of the restaurant and check out the mid-day menu offerings, which includes a "Business Lunch" of a starter, an entrée and a side dish for $23 from 11:30 am - 4:00 pm. I had just arrived back from Spain on Thursday night - gone into work on Friday - and was still a bit jet lagged. I almost opted out. One taste of the Shanghai Style fried Calamari ($15) and I was incredibly thankful I did not.Actually, once I had a glass of Layer Cake Shiraz ($10) in my hand and broke off a slice of their utterly perfect warm sesame studded bread loaf and slathered it with creamy butter, I was close to content. The Calamari appetizer went on to seal the deal. A bold preparation, lightly battered and fried squid is loaded with bean sprouts, scallions, crushed peanuts and mildly hot peppers all mingling in a sweet Thai chili sauce. While the sweet chili sauce added delicious flavor, I appreciated the restraint with which it was used. It highlighted the fresh ingredients without overwhelming their varied crispy textures. I particularly loved the crunch from the peanuts. After finishing my glass of red wine, I craved something light and sparkly, so I decided to pair my lunch with a cocktail. The Mod French 75 ($14) garnished with a cucumber combines Hendrick’s Gin, lemon juice, bitters and Moet champagne for a fresh fizzy afternoon delight. The odd dining companion out chose the fantastic looking Lobster Shrimp Club ($18), while three of us couldn't pass up the Filet Medallions Sandwich ($16).I was expecting to be overwhelmed by a massive portion, and I was in the best sense possible. While I could only manage to finish half of the sandwich, the individual halves themselves are nicely proportioned. The sandwich was deceptively easy to bite into without the ingredients making a mess or tumbling out. Bite size nuggets of tender filet medallions are paired with soft sun dried tomatoes, gridded thin red onions and just a touch of horseradish herb spread. Encased by the same signature warm and fluffy bread that I dove headfirst into at the beginning of the meal, the loaf makes an even better vessel for filet. Mine were a perfectly cooked medium rare. Well seasoned french fries accompanied my plate, while everyone else could not pass up the homemade skillet potato chips. I tried the chips and can vouch for their status. We received impeccable service which was friendly and personalized. Even though the staff was fully aware we were bloggers attending a comped lunch, this doesn't necessarily go without saying.
A small but innovative menu offers appealing dished prepared with precision. From weekday business power lunches to easygoing weekend afternoons, whatever the lunch occasion, Del Frisco's aims to personalize the experience to fit your needs.

250 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210

16 comments:

  1. I ate there a few weeks ago before a concert at the Pavilion. We shared the burger with black truffles. It was amazing. I really want to get back soon. The calamari looks interesting, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get over there! The lunch looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, good times at Del Frisco's :) I definitely had way more than my share of that bread and butter last time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely lunch! The sundried tomatoes in that sandwich sound like such a great pairing. I'm sorry I missed this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sandwich looks perfect. Gotta love a sandwich that doesnt completely fall apart upon the first bite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're making me hungry :) sounds like a fantastic lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fabulous lunch! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love calamari and that dish looks like it has a lot going on... in a good way! I'll definitely have to add del friscos to my try list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh looks like the perfect meal to enjoy after returning from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I got the Mod French 75 at my bday dinner w/ my parents and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had a wonderful lunch! I'm sorry that I couldn't have made it to this lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all that big *ss lighting fixture is off the wall. And now can we discuss this Mod French 75 you speak of? It sounds delish.

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh goodness that cocktail looks like heavenly milk!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though it's 6:30 AM the calamari looks very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I had been able to make it, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a vegetarian and these photos still had me drooling!

    ReplyDelete