Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Brahmin

Restaurants and lounges are opening like wildfire in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood. Take for example the property on Stanhope Street which has undergone a complete overhaul in the last year to welcome a trifecta of upscale establishments. The latest to open its Brownstone framed doors, serving affordable American cuisine in an atmosphere evoking classic old world elegance is The Brahmin. I joined Meghan, Emily, Megan and Amy two Sunday evenings ago where we took full advantage of the nice weather, opting to dine on the patio. Our waitress possessed a good grasp of the menu offerings and delivered timely service throughout. We ordered a number of small plates which she had expedited in stages, setting a relaxed pace for the meal instead of an overwhelming rapid fire of dishes. We were elated to see Fried Pickles ($5) on the menu, these crave-able discs were delicately fried and accompanied by a sweet pepper sauce. Akin to the fried pickles, a menu listing of Tater Tots ($6) always warrant attention. What this batch lacked in seasoning they made up for with a trio of dipping sauces including truffled ketchup, garlic aioli, and grainy mustard. We balanced the hot crispy bites with a light Arugula Salad ($6) consisting of goat cheese, fresh apples and prosciutto in a zesty lemon vinaigrette. Peppery, creamy, sweet and salty, this simple salad was a delight. Even more delightful was the Potato and Roasted Onion Fritatta ($3.50) for the combined facts that we ordered it whim, it only cost three dollars and fifty cents and its deliciousness took us by complete surprise.A thick wedge of fluffy eggs loaded with potatoes and onions was reminiscent of the Tortilla de Patatas I ate in Spain! The Brahmin's version was elevated by fresh scallions and a diced red and yellow pepper salsa that embodied a remarkably refreshing sweetness.From the sea, an order of Grilled Prawns ($8) were nicely prepared in a smokey chipotle rub, and the Tuna Two Ways ($10) presented an ordinary tartare and seared slices of the fish creatively paired with rectangles of juicy watermelon. A beautiful platter of Seasonal Tomatoes ($7) with baby mozzarella, cold press oil, smoked sea salt and micro greens clung to summer while a hearty Beef Short Rib ($11) with cauliflower parsnip puree and pickled shallots marched towards fall. I thoroughly enjoyed both. Rounding out the dishes was a plate of nicely charred Grilled White Asparagus ($5) wrapped in serrano ham with a luscious lemon sauce and another one of those too-good-to-pass-up elevated comforts, Truffle Mac & Cheese ($7). I briefly wandered inside at the end of our meal. The swanky interior evokes a turn-of-the-century vibe. Flickering candles and ornate chandeliers illuminate the deep maroon and brown toned décor. Tufted leather couches are set against exposed brick walls displaying canvas portraits.
It feels destined to become a Back Bay hot spot. Next time I'd venture in to enjoy a creative cocktail at the wrap around copper top bar. This time around I was content to sip on a glass of Sparkling Pinot Noir and soak up the Indian summer weather on the patio. Dining al fresco and sharing dishes is a common theme when these ladies and I step out together. The Brahmin has a well rounded menu providing a tasty experience that was all too easy on our wallets.
33 Stanhope St
Boston, MA 02116

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful meal! I hope I can join you all in your next dining adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this place on TV Diner last night. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chipoltle prawns & truffle mac & cheese would be my choice. Looks like a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun place! That first salad looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a Rue La La deal for the Brahmin and can't wait to try it! I love their front door and those tater tots and fried pickles look delish! As always, thanks for the full report!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, that potato frittata has me drooling :) and dining al fresco always wins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like we were all on the same page about this dinner! It was great to hang out, as always! Next time I'm getting that sparkling pinot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely evening! It was nice catching up over some tasty dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually just saw this place on TV and am itching to try it, even more so now that I read your article. I love small bites and I love to share food with friends. It is now on my sooner rather than later list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so bummed I missed this! Let's definitely schedule another one so I can join! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went last night and was impressed - sat inside and totally enjoyed the atmosphere. The walls play tricks on you in the stairway down to the bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm Truffle Mac & Cheese, that stuff looks stellar

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a fun dinner! Jon and I are planning on going very soon. And I love any bar with copper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, I would love to share all of those dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fabulous! The exterior of that place is gorgeous. And any restaurant that serves tater tots is an instant win. The rest is just a bonus.

    Hope all is well with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This place looks delicious I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete