Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bond | Langham Hotel

The Financial District's former branch of the Federal Reserve Bank houses posh restaurant & cocktail lounge: Bond, where extravagant chandeliers twinkle from high ceilings, recessed walls frame vertical US Savings Bonds and the illuminated semi-circular bar is flanked by granite balconies. A tasting to unveil their new spring menu featured well crafted cocktails, appetizers focused on small bites for sharing and desserts mostly worthy of indulging. 
Settling comfortably into taupe and brown leather booths, circular chairs and tufted square stools, the grand luxury of the space captivates as a jazz duo plays in the background. Homemade chips and a creamy shallot dip awaited at the tables and a waitress greets us shortly to take drink orders. Combining two of my favorite spirits The Treasury ($15) blends Aperol (longtime love) and Crème de Violette (new obsession) with Grey Goose L'Orange and Peychaud bitters. This cocktail possesses a unique depth that incidentally has more of a "one time only" appeal. The flavors seemed to clash more than they meshed! The marriage of gin and peas in The Appraisal ($15) results in a martini with a pretty green hue and a fresh springtime essence. St Germain and brown sugar add body and sweetness. Who knew peas in cocktails was actually a thing? I certainly did not but trust me on this one, it works.
The first dish to arrive are the Vietnamese Spring Rolls - a refreshing, pop-able bite containing shrimp, chicken, cilantro and a spicy peanut sauce. Peanuts sprinkled on top add a terrific texture. These ended up being one of my favorites! The Sweet Soy and Ginger Chicken Wings and the Crispy Judith Point Calamari round out the top 3. The former served with candied ginger slices are an absolute delight to consume, drumettes being the more graceful and sophisticated way to devour chicken wings. The calamari are livened up with sweet chili, black sesame and cilantro. 

Indeed there are more worthy choices that would be hard to pass up like the Lobster and Chorizo Quesadillas with queso blanco and sweet corn and the Flat Bread Pizza highlighting Great Hill Blue cheese topped with  grilled stone fruit, pancetta and arugula. Finally, the Stracchino Cheese and Heirloom Tomatoes in virgin olive oil and balsamic are particularly intriguing, the tomatoes are actually stuffed with the soft, squishy cheese which is creamy and mild, similar to mozzarella. 
Of the three desserts I was all about the Strawberry Rhubarb Gratin pairing a fluffy mascarpone mousse with mint and black pepper sable. The Sticky Toffee Pudding was also excellent, you can't go wrong with individual cake servings topped with brown butter ice cream and Bookers Whiskey Caramel. The Chocolate Tasting was less successful, both the smoked chocolate cake and white chocolate brulee were unremarkable and while the milk chocolate powder was fun and playful it didn't necessarily stand out. The only thing I kept going back for was the Guanaja Chocolate ice cream. That on its own is good stuff.
I had been hoping to return to Bond ever since my first visit (see the blog post here). This was just the type of experience I was seeking; kicking back after a day of work and relaxing with good cocktails and friends. 

250 Franklin Street
Boston, MA 02110

this tasting was complimentary, all opinions are my own

18 comments:

  1. As always, GREAT photos! I'm eyeing those desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so intrigued by that pea and gin cocktail. All of the food looks so appetizing in your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! The food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sad I was out of town for this, mostly because of that sticky toffee pudding. And ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you ladies had a wonderful time! I was at the Celtics game last night and didn't see the text until later but it was great to run into you yesterday too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. both drinks sound right up my alley...and the calamari looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth literally watered.
    Seriously.
    You had me at Lobster and chorizo quesadillas. I want to go to there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics - makes me want to grab a handful of those homemade potato chips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great photos! Looks like a lovely night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks incredible. I definitely wanted to stop by to this but it didn't work out. Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your photos are incredible, Daisy! I have been to Cafe Fleuri in the Langham many times, but never to Bond. It looks like a fun vibe and wonderful eats! I want those spring rolls! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont think I would been to keen on peas in my drink but the food looks wicked good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a great way to experience what Bond has to offer. So glad we could catch up over delicious bites and fun cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a fabulous venue for a fabulous meal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went to Bond a few times for dinner and was very impressed. Everything here looks just as good.

    If you look closely at the picture looking down on the diners, it looks like the two guys on the left are raising their glasses at you. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A sophisticated menu for a sophisticated lady!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spot on with this write-up, I really think this website wants far more consideration. I'll probably be again to learn way more, thanks for that info.

    ReplyDelete