Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bond | The Littlest Bar | South Street Diner

Saturday night we ventured to Bond Restaurant & Lounge to enjoy cocktails with friends. This cosmopolitan haven of luxury is situated in the heart of Boston's Financial District at The Langham Hotel. The hotels complimentary coat check was offered as we arrived which we happily took advantage of before climbing a small staircase into a room on grand display. The former Boston branch of the Federal Reserve Bank, Bond, not James Bond; but Bond, savings Bond relinquishes any movie themed notions in favor of historical finance figures and denominations complete with blow up wall hangings of presidents and a distinctive cocktail list named in the wealthys honor. The bar was approachable even though it was super crowded and the bartender took notice of new patrons right away. I drank The Vanderbilt ($14) Makers Mark, Peychaud Bitters, Cinnamon Reduction, Lucid Absinthe, Lemon Twist. The bartender omitted the lemon twist but this was a well crafted drink, a play on the traditional Sazerac with the aromatics of the anise flavored absinthe delightfully potent. I could have sipped Vanderbilts all night long, but after a round or two each and no cocktail tables or seats at the bar in sight we decided to move on.
I was definitely captivated by the grand interior, the ceiling lined with twinkling crystal chandeliers and granite balconies flanking both sides of the semi circular bar. The recessed walls framing the vertical savings bonds also stand to impress. It would be wise to arrive earlier than 9pm or return on a calmer evening instead of peak party time. I'd love to grab a seat, sample the menu and enjoy Bond to the fullest. What I experienced so far, I enjoyed.

It was a high starting point to the evening that lead us next to The Littlest Bar on Broad Street.The exterior is charming. (Especially in daylight, when I took these pictures.)This casual no frills pub wasn't overly crowded so we were able to grab a table and hang out. Before tonight, I didn't even know this place existed. I drank a dirty martini first, the craving struck and I figured it was worth a shot. I followed the mediocre martini up with Miller Lites, always a safe bet. You know you've had a good night when it ends like this:The South Street Diner caters to the late night and early morning crowd serving grub at 178 Kneeland Street all night long.
I am always a fan of Boston's greasiest spoon!
I devoured Two scrambled eggs, homefries, toast + sausage links ($7). This plate of food was a perfect way to end the night morning. 
How did you spend last Saturday night?

21 comments:

  1. I spent Saturday nice dancing my butt off at 6B. It sounds like your Saturday night was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been curious about South St Diner. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you take so many pictures inside the places you go to. I had never been there, looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to go back to the littlest bar and get a spot at the table that allows you to drink Guinness and Blue Moon drafts by the ounce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so adventurous -- I am often too lazy to cross the river but I am now motivated to check out Bond. So pretty! My mom was in town last Saturday so it was a pretty mellow night :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun evening! Would love to try that Vanderbilt drink, sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow, looks like a fun place to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun night!!! Works been dominating my life lately, but I think I need a night like this!!! I havent been to any of those places yet so they're on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is making me hungry. *hugs*

    --d'Arty

    www.livinginiowa.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bond is awesome! I was at a party last Saturday, but I think my friends and I are hitting up Bond this weekend (or Woodward hehe). Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, now I want a beer and some scrambled eggs!! Thanks a lot dear! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a spectacular way to spend a Saturday night! I actually didn't really do much. I made a bunch of food to bring to Jeff's friends who just had twins and then we stayed in... and I'm thinking I went to bed early... but I don't remember. Ah well... I'm such a bum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a great Saturday night! I spent mine drinking wine with family, then moving on to drink beer with friends - and then my night ended with a couple slices of pizza to the face. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been to Bond a few times, but just to the bar like you did. I need to get back to try the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the first place seems a bit to fancy for my taste although the Lucid Absinthe sounds like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe I've still never been to Bond! I think we're going to look at the Langham Hotel for our wedding, so I guess we'll have to grab a few drinks while we're there!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Bond's decor. Gotta love South St diner... a couple years ago my friends and i ended up there on the most RANDOM night lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure whether I'm more hungry or thirsty after reading this! It's probably a tie.

    If I ever make it to Boston, I'd want a tour guide just like you. Sure, I'll see the sights, but I'm equally invested in the food and spirits, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Bond is spectacular inside. Love the decor! I heard about The Littlest Bar from your and then heard it mentioned on the radio this am! Is it new?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a really great night. Bond Restaurant looks really cool. I love all the chandeliers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Last Saturday I went to a 5 year old's Scooby Doo themed birthday.....Your Saturday wins.

    ReplyDelete