Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Boston Common Coffee Co.

I have a love affair with Salem Street. I've loved it for quite sometime, but I'm officially declaring my love today in writing. Not only are some of my favorite places to eat on this street, but also some of my favorite places to shop. One of those beloved spots is a quaint neighborhood coffee shop.
I have enjoyed Boston Common Coffee Co. ever since I first wandered in two years ago. They make a very tasty egg and cheese on a croissant. They also have amazing quiches. Today I strolled in and saw the panini special.
If you know me, you know I need my egg fix on a weekend morning before I can even think about eating lunch. It was only 11 am and all I could think about was I needed to order that sandwich.
When you order a panini you get a free side salad. Choose from mixed greens, tortellini, white bean or tabouli. All the tables were full, so I took a seat on the comfy couch. 
I sipped on a latte with whole milk and sugar. It has never been a contest - that whole, WHOLE vs. SKIM debate. I read quite a few health food blogs where lately I've noticed people coming around to whole milk. I've always been a whole milk gal.

The Pierre was superb. Melted brie oozed out of the perfectly toasted bread, surrounding thin crisp slices of green apple and a light layer of fig spread. 

The crowd here comes and goes in waves. The staff keep the line moving quickly. The space is homey, emitting the feel of a living room in a suburban house with big leather chairs, a wood burning stove and an Oriental rug.
The large green plants bring it all together but the wall décor could use some work. The local artwork is a welcome touch but I remember them looking much more sophisticated the last time I was in. In a final selling point, they allow dogs. I think it's nice that if you're out for a Sunday stroll with the pooch they can come in and hang while you enjoy your coffee.
97 Salem Street is the original location; opened in 2004, but they also have locations Downtown @ 531 Washington St. open 7 days a week and in The Financial District @ 10 High St. open Monday through Friday.

1 comment:

  1. i want that sammy.

    thank YOU for inviting us along to window shop with you :)

    ReplyDelete