Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Friendly Toast | Kendall Square

I attended college at the University of New Hampshire in Durham where naturally breakfasts were spent at one of the many dining halls on campus. Once in awhile the 15 minute drive to eat at The Friendly Toast was made - the original Portsmouth location!! The photos at The Portsmouth Toast (above) depict just a small taste of the antique signage and unusual retro memorabilia that fills the walls and nooks of the restaurant.

The Cambridge Toast in Kendall Square opened its doors in late May of 2009. And from the girl who claimed she doesn't venture over to Cambridge often, I've been to Central, Harvard and Kendall Squares respectively within the last month. We made it to Kendall Square and found The Friendly Toast thanks to a large sign on a building pointing us in the right direction. The wait, not to my surprise, was quoted at 45 minutes. (It ended up taking an hour.) They do not take reservations.
I made my way over to the chaotic bar where every stool was filled and for every full seat there was someone waiting behind to claim it next. This is quite possibly the coolest decoupaged bar I have ever seen. The product labels are a parody on the real thing. 
Crest = Crust
Band Aid = Band Ache
Heintz = Hurtz
Tootsy Roll Pop = Tipsy Roll Pop
Peter Pan = Peter Pain
Fluff = Flunk
I could go on. You get the idea.
Then I noticed Mahjong Solitaire tiles lining the outside edge. How funky! I kept it simple and ordered a Bloody Mary ($7). This one had a good kick, spicy but not too much so. Then I claimed a spot in the retro lounge and passed the time snapping pictures.
I'm diggin' the Astro-turf and the matching bright green walls.
Oh look, a rotating Schlitz globe!
An Ex-Lax thermometer is so completely random and yet so cool.
My seat was next to a giant grenade.
The lower edge of the walls are lined with a collage of back-in-the-day advertisements.
Don't worry, there are many kitschy artifacts left un-photographed to discover should you decide to visit. Soon enough, a welcoming Kelley green diner with 1950's dinette sets including twinkling vinyl chairs ushered us in.
Our waitress approached the table right away. The standard "you must have an area of your body covered in tattoos in order to work here" quota was met. She was bubbly as can be. For some reason today, I had a lot of questions on the menu. She was very knowledgeable and answered them all with a refreshing honesty. I needed an opinion on the mojito frappe and what kind of booze should I add in it if ordered. She told me it was a weird drink overall and probably not my best bet.
We decided on our food orders relatively quick. Then I scanned the cocktails menu and realized (thanks Adam) all drinks are creatively named after Alfred Hitchcock movies.
I decided on the Vertigo. The food came before my drink. In this case I really didn't mind. a) I knew how ridiculously busy the bartender was and b) The waitress was so sweet about keeping me updated on the drinks whereabouts, I knew she never actually forgot it and it was somewhat out of her control. 
F-O-O-D. Finally.
Sunrise Scramble ($10) for Adam.
Huervos Rancheros ($10) pour moi.
Runny poached egg goodness sat atop two slices of their homemade anadama bread and what was the most avocado I have ever seen on a breakfast dish in my life. This was all topped with a thick layer of melted cheddar cheese and fresh chunky salsa. A messy pile of  home fries came on the side.
I devoured the first egg, stopped for a breather, and took my time attempting to finish the second. This dish was unbelievably satisfying and well worth the wait. Oh and speaking of worth the wait, my Vertigo arrived!!
Goslings Rum. chocolate ice cream. Grand Marnier. pomegranate molasses. Honestly this is more like a dessert anyways!
The waitress apologized once again on behalf of the bartender and she comped the drink. I've had waiters and waitresses forget drinks a time or two and not gotten them for free. Friendly Toast, you have made my afternoon! I can't even describe to you how good this was. If you go here, GET THIS. Cold and frothy, the ice cream blended with the sweet orange liqueur and pomegranate flavors to create a combo unlike any I've experienced. And do I ever adore Goslings Rum. I savored this boozy milkshake while Adam paid the bill upfront.
The Hamburglers distant relative could not go un-photographed. 
Neither could the disturbing potted heads in the vestibule.
It was another dark, cold and rainy day in the city. If it was nicer out we would have walked off the food comas and enjoyed the outdoors. Instead it was straight back to the Kendall Square T stop and home to digest our meals on the couch.
From my time in college spent at the original location, my love runs deep. Kendall Square kept the affections going.

1230 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138

3 comments:

  1. mmm looks delicious! i can't wait to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i vote for it being a poodle. i need a vertigo right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow wow wow. what TREATS! the drink looks amazing and your rancheros... my god! avocado heaven. i vote poodle too!

    ReplyDelete