Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day

St Patrick's Day is such a great holiday!! On Monday night I made a St. Patrick's Day Chocolate Mint Oreo Pie.
I was inspired by a blog I came across called Iowa Girl Eats (How on earth did I decide to follow a blogger who lives in Iowa?) She's adorable, we share the same real name, and she has some really fun recipes.
Ingredients:
-1 package instant chocolate pudding
-2 cups of 1 or 2 % milk
-12 mint Oreo cookies
-1 1/2 cups of Cool Whip
-1/4 teaspoon mint extract
-green food coloring
-1 pre-made Oreo cookie pie crust
1) Place the Oreo's in a plastic bag and crush. (If you happen to be out, plastic wrap wrapped up nice and tight works well too!)
2) Combine pudding mix and milk. Whisk until batter has been dissolved. Fold in 3/4 cup cool whip and 1/4 tsp mint extract. Gently add in 1 cup of the crushed Oreos.
3) Pour filling into pre-made pie crust and spread evenly.
4) In a separate bowl combine 3/4 cup cool whip and green food coloring. Pour on top of the pudding and spread until even.
5) Top with remaining Oreo cookie pieces and chill for at least one hour before serving
And behold a delicious puddin' pie!
Tonight was our 2nd annual tradition of Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner at Durgin ParkWe strolled over to Faneuil Hall around 8:30 where the streets are packed for amateur hour and the bagpipes are playing loud.
Durgin Park has an upstairs section called the Market Dining Rooms. (The Black Horse Tavern is their bar downstairs.) You are seated at a banquet style dining table with a red and white checkered table cloth. You're all one big Irish family here at Durgin Park!
Order a Green Guinness! Make sure you request that it come green!
Everyone gets cornbread.
And if you so choose, a piping hot plate of boiled beef, cabbage, carrots, parsnips and potato.
I slathered mine in butter and dug right in. Last year was the first time I ever in life ate this Irish feast.
I made quite a dent, but still had a few leftovers to take home after all said and done. I was also sporting a new shade of green lip gloss.
P.S. I am 1/4 Irish. Just in case you were wondering. Durgin Park has left me fulfilled and happy on St Paddy's day once again. Looks like I will see them next year!

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine what your celebration would have been like if you were even only 1/2 Irish!

    Great story here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sprout - I know right? hahaha. Glad you enjoy. I just looked at your website - wow you have amazing food pictures.

    ReplyDelete