Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Oak Bar | Fairmont Copley Plaza

After some last minute wedding related errands we checked into the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel. The suite was stunning. 
Then, it was finally time to relax with some cocktails at The Oak Bar .
Tucked away in the historic Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel on the corner of St. James Avenue and Dartmouth Street, a restored antique room filled with arched windows of vast proportions, regal upholstered décor, ornate drapes and paneled ceilings painted in deep gold and royal blue accents is perhaps one of the most elegant hotel bars in the city.
The maid of honor, one of the bridesmaids, the bride and I started off the evening together and were soon joined by some out of town wedding guests. The Oak Bar features one of the largest martini and specialty drink menus I've seen in this city. I started off with a humorous twist on a classic favorite. The Charles River Martini ($17) offered a long pour of Crop Organic Vodka and olive juice with Charles River Mud (chopped olives, onion and lemon zest). $17? I know. Not only is this worth every sip due to the organic vodka in a perfectly crafted and well thought out Boston named martini, but you receive an additional pour as delivered in a signature carafe in a bucket over ice. This is not just the extra martini topper that wouldn't fit in the glass. This is another drink! The real surprise of the evening, though, was the Oak Bar Kobe Beef Burger ($18). Apparently flying under the radar for years (my radar at least) this burger was comparable in price to the infamous Radius Burger, though not as extraordinary. Melted cheddar cheese and thinly coiled shoestring onion rings come piled on kobe beef with an ever so slightly prevalent sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. The option to pile on raw onion, lettuce and tomato come on the side. The Kobe beef, exquisite tender meat with rich juicy flavors is heaven on a toasted bun. The thick cut steak fries were lacking in crispiness and seasoning.
My second (or fourth, call it what you will) drink was a Moscow Mule ($10) impressively garnished with two slates of candied ginger. Desserts were consumed in the form of Green Tea Panna Cotta ($12) and Vermont Crème Fraiche Cheesecake ($12). I'm normally a panna cotta gal and I loved the green tea flavor, but the cheesecake stole the show with a rich and tangy flavor and a dissimilar texture when compared to a standard slice. The crème fraiche elevates the dessert beholding a fluffy whipped consistency over a dense gram cracker crust. 

Since we ended up in The Oak Bar for post wedding drinks (working my way through their cocktails menu this weekend) I also thought I'd share my nightcap!
The Copley Serenade ($10) is a delicate blend of Farmers Organic Gin, mint, raspberries and fresh lime juice and charged with ginger ale. It was fantastic!

18 comments:

  1. I love that almost every post has a picture of a cocktail, we would get along swimmingly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your silver nails are so fun! I've never been to the Oak Bar but my favorite hotel bar/restaurants are KO Prime and Noir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great bar, terrific cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had I known Adam was buying the round after the wedding I would have tried one of the delicious cocktails! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burger is calling my name right now. I seriously could eat about 5 right now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. between the copley serenade and your sparkly nails i feel a party coming on!

    xoxo,
    carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My best friend and I used to go to Oak Bar all the time when I worked in Boston. We'd go there Fridays and get hit on by old men. It was disgusting, but we loved the decor and food, it was near our work, and there was a hot bartender. I wonder if he still works there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Oak Bar looks beautiful! And if they have good cocktails and kobe beef... you bet I'd go there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're right...the burger does sound phenomenal! Last night we discussed that you would be the person that we'd all want to go out with on a Saturday night. With the dirty martini and Bailey's, I must insist on a booze-filled evening with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair/makeup looks GORGEOUS! That martini sounds yummy- pricey yes but i'm sure it's all alcohol lol.

    PS: I LOVE Sanibel! How awesome that you are going. I was actually thinking Ariel/Little Mermaid too- my friends and I thought about all going as one of the Disney Princesses. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! You are looking gorgeous as always, happenin' polish! I used to love hotel bars, my fave was the Pen Top (top of the Peninsula hotel in NYC!). XX!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talk about making a discovery! Looks like you had a fabulous time at the bar and that $17 is definitely worth it with the extra pours in there. Charles River mud -- ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That burger is making my mouth water! Sounds like a fun spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous. you. the burger. the serenade. the hotel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post makes me want to get married just to prepare for the day. What an awesome pre-wedding kick-off. 'Kick-off', umm, not a very wedding'y word. Sorry. =) Love your nails and make-up. Perfect with that stunning dress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, you used 'Kicked-off', so I take it back. Totally appropriate. I trust you. LOL. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love all the cocktails I keep seeing in this blog, you're definitely my kind of girl and always remind me that I should drink more cocktails :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE the Oak Bar! Glad you had such a good time there! It's my standard pre-evening drinking spot!

    ReplyDelete