Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bistro du Midi

Bistro du Midi is located in a dreamy Parisian chic space across from the Public Garden. The refined and welcoming bar offers house infused liquors, an impressive wine list, rustic breads and tasty appetizer plates. It is worth a visit for the elegant Provençal version of a margarita - The Petanque ($11) crafted with house infused lavender-lemon blanco tequila, triple sec, fresh lemon and fresh lime. This cocktail comes highly recommended from myself as well as the amicable bartender. The first floor opposite the bar is a beautifully decorated space. Is it just me or are weathered mirror collages some of the most aesthetically pleasing wall decorations? Tasteful green plants and vintage artwork serve to frame the café tables and comfy looking banquettes. A tiled archway on the far wall gives way to an open kitchen.
Arranged in a striking fashion a top the bar in square wooden vases are some extra long, thin and crispy bread sticks to start things off. Substantial slices of hearty bread and a small dipping bowl of olive oil are presented upon placing your order. My girlfriends and I ordered on the lighter side as we were just in for a quick bite to pass the time before an event. We found ourselves extremely satisfied with the appetizer plates we chose off the bar dinner menu. Fried Point Judith Calamari with anchovies and spicy roasted red peppers, Fried Artichokes w aioli, and Crostini with olive eggplant dip and green olive tapenade. 
The fried artichoke was my favorite bite of the three. The calamari was excellent too and the crostini was simple and crisp with a creamy eggplant and bold tapenade. A more formal dining room is located on the second floor and in the warmer months a street level patio opens for al fresco dining. Enamored with my first visit to Bistro du Midi, I certainly can not wait for a return evening* to sample more of the modern Provençal cuisine in entrée and dessert form.

*Edited 12/2011 to add: I have since returned to experience dinner with a large party (sans camera) upstairs and it was absolutely terrific. There were six of us and everyone loved their meals. I highly recommend!

272 Boylston Street
Boston, MA

18 comments:

  1. You're right - the wall of mirrors is fantastic! I've grabbed a glass of wine downstairs before eating in the main restaurant - but clearly a more thorough visit to the bar must happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only passed through the bar at Bistro du Midi but I really love the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bar here! In fact, I listed it as one of my favorite places to drink wine in my RWB profile. We should return for drinks on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been there but its on the list - the bar and apps seems like a great option rather than committing to a whole meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delish! Love the salt along the side of the beverage. I will have to check this place out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I STILL haven't been here yet!! But everytime I read about it I'm reminded of that fact. Sounds like a great place, I think I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. why does that margarita have to look so good to me at not even 11 am? crap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that the mirrored collages - when don't right - look beautiful. This restaurant did it right!

    I wish I could do something similar in my place but I have no idea where to start...

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of that food (and the cocktail, of course) looks divine! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw! We definitely have to go back again. Such a fun evening... the artichokes and calamari were delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lavender lemony lime margarita?? okay i need to try this asap...

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the decor of this place. I would totally do my kitchen this way.
    You know, if I actually spent time in the kitchen ....

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  13. weathered mirror collages are brilliant wall decor. This place looks like fancy yet comfy place to dine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delish! I don't think I've ever NOT liked the drink and carb photos you post (whoa, double negative).

    ReplyDelete
  15. that drinks sounds SO delicious! i am on a tequila kick lately...may need to go try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I've been meaning to check out Bistro du Midi for ages now- its definitely on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. minus the tequila that sounds like a great drink :) never been there, but i'll have to keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete