Friday, September 2, 2011

Sfizi @ Dante

Every Tuesday in the bar and lounge at Dante enjoy $2 grilled cheese sandwiches from 5:30 pm. Offering sweeping views of the Charles River and the Boston skyline, Dante is a contemporary Italian restaurant located inside the Royal Sonesta Hotel on the Cambridge side of the river.My sister and I arrived and were happy to learn from the hostess that the grilled cheese special is offered on the patio as well. It was a gorgeous evening so we took full advantage of the riverside views, settling in first with some cocktails. I went with what can only be described as my dream cocktail, the Italian 75 ($9) which combines my two favorite liqueurs - Aperol and St Germain with lemon, prosecco and gin. Leah's Watermelon Basil Margarita wasn't as noteworthy.For our second round I stuck with my beloved Italian 75 and she decided on Sangria ($9) which was much more satisfying than round one. Along with our cocktails a sophisticated version of the weekly grilled cheeses were enjoyed; boasting layers of melted mozzarella, peppery arugula and spicy pepperoncini on thick slices of evenly toasted bread.I should mention one half of a grilled cheese is $2, still a large half and $2 well spent. In addition to this deal the bar offers $1 oysters daily from 4 - 6 pm. We couldn't pass this up and slurped three briny east coast oysters each. We also noshed on some sfizi - "little tastes" which are individual antipasti plates meant for sharing. The Fried Calamari ($6) incorporated delicious little morsels of fried lemon zest along with a grilled lemon thyme aioli. The Pannocchia ($6) which is grilled corn on the cob with pecorino cheese and a spicy aioli was excellent.
Our waitress disappeared for awhile after clearing our plates - when it was clear we were finished with our cocktails and in need of either the check or another round!  Even so, Dante is not a bad spot to check out for their weekday menu deals especially while you can still enjoy the outdoor space. 

We exited the patio off the back steps and decided to take an evening turned sunset stroll around the Charles. We stopped to feed a family of ducks, meandered over the Longfellow Bridge, watched the Red Line speed by and looped back around to the Boston side of the river and walked the Esplanade home.
41 Edwin Land Boulevard
Cambridge, MA 02142

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, especially that MBTA shot! It makes me miss my old neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the MBTA shot. I've always wanted to go to Dante and now I HAVE to. Grilled cheese is my jam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy September! Whenever I read your sister posts, I wish my sisters lived close by! Glad you made it over to Dante for grilled cheese... sounds like a really good version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Sister's stepping out! Looks like fun! Speaking of grilled cheese...I had a grilled cheese tonight with a fresh tomato reduction dipping sauce at the Gallery Wine Bar with a glass of Gavi. Very nice photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh i havent had oysters in so long!!! it all looks delish! and happy september to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures came out great! We should plan a Sushi date when you get back from Spain. Where too next?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The grilled cheese and the little tasties look yummy here. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ummm talk about a great deal and a beautiful city! lovin your posts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great night in Boston! Those grilled cheeses look sooo yummy. Still have to get there to hang out with my favorite cousins!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cocktail does sounds amazing. Thanks or the heads up about this steal. I live so closeby!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures! What a nice end of summer outing. I have never been Dante. Now I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy September indeed! Love the pics - I can just imagine how beautiful Boston weather is this time of year.

    The fancy grilled cheese and corn on the cob are making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like so much fun! Great pics and Happy September to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay I swear I'm full, but I just got hungry again. Also my Dad's and my nephew's names are Dante. That place has got to be awesome
    xo
    Alexa
    www.thshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love nights like that!! I've never been to Dante, but I have been to their sister restaurant in Belmont, Il Calsale, which is amazing.

    ReplyDelete