Friday, August 5, 2011

Aperol Aperitivo

A sophisticated and versatile spirit with an unmistakable vibrant orange color, allow me to formally introduce Aperol, my new favorite liqueur.
The distinctive blend of flavor infusions including sweet mandarin orange and bitter orange peel along with herbs, roots and spices create a zesty and refreshing spirit unique in its palate pleasing abilities. When given the choice, the specialty cocktail on any given bar menu crafted with Aperol gets my order, either that or you'll find me at home drinking an Aperol Spritz. The versatility lends endless possibilities for cocktail mixing, however the widely known, traditionally crafted Aperol Spritz blends three parts Prosecco with two parts Aperol and a dash of club soda or seltzer water. I find it works just as well with any sort of sparking wine or dry white wine, or even sans the wine altogether. Aperol and seltzer water alone give a whole new meaning to the word refreshing. Not to mention that bright orange color does wonders for invigorating the spirit. In addition to becoming the latest permanent bottle in my at home bar, I first took notice of its appearance in cocktails at some of my favorite Boston restaurants. My first encounter with Aperol was at Coppa where their Negroni Rosato ($9) combines the liqueur with Rosato vermouth, Bols Genever and rhubarb bitters for a well rounded aperitivo. To quote my review back on May 14th "it was refreshing with bright and sweet flavors and a wonderfully bitter finish." I had no idea at the time that this drink would induce an onset of Aperol fever. We became re-acquainted at the Aragosta Patio Party where the Settana Cinque ($11) shakes Aperol with freshly squeezed lemon juice and charges it with Prosecco. This was perfection in an extra wide rimmed martini glass. The latest affair occurred a just a couple of weeks ago at Rialto, where the Equinox ($11) blends Aperol with Hayman’s Old Tom gin, grapefruit juice and lemon bitters. At this point my obsession was in full swing. Apparently Aperol has been delighting since its inception in Italy back in 1919. So, maybe I'm a little late to the party, or maybe you heard it here first; either way, there is something so incredibly fantastic about a drink made with this bright orange, slightly sweet, slightly bitter liqueur.
Happy Friday! Go ahead and make yourself an Aperol Spritz this weekend and tell me what you think!

19 comments:

  1. I love the look of it mixed with prosecco. Sadly I didn't try the settanta cinque at Aragosta. I'm curious about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I love that the cocktail at Coppa inspired you to pick up a bottle of aperol for your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw Aperol featured on another blog and thought, "I need to get my hands on that stuff." Now I really, really do!! I love the endless possibilities :) Happy Cocktail Friday!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with everyone above, this is a liquor I love to order at restaurants, I need to get some in my home bar - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Campari is a good home bar liquor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, that looks great! I may have actually said "Why, hello there" to the computer when I saw the drink. At 9:30am. But it IS Friday, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your drink sounds good! i had a drink in Newburyport over the winter with Aperol and i had no idea what it was...but i liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I know what may have to drink this weekend. never had it but I am totally up for trying this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since you've commanded me to make a Aperol Spritz I guess I will have to put down my soda and go make one. Just know I am only doing this because you said so...not because I enjoy drinking in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't believe I've ever tried it, sounds delightful for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We keep a bottle at home too! Trina's has an awesome drink with Aperol, "The Shaddock" (it's equal parts Aperol, St. Germaine, gin and fresh lemon juice). It's become one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried this - great to know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've definintely seen it on menus but I can't recal if I've ever had it, but you're definintely making me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know if you have had the drink they make with Aperol at Sibling Rivalry but it is DELICIOUS! It's a Tangerine Martini, I had it during the last restaurant week and THAT is when I fell in love with Aperol :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't heard of Aperol until visiting Coppa and getting that same cocktail. It was yummy and its bitterness reminded me of campari. Gotta give the spritzer a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i saw that drink at rialto and was intrigued!! now i'm bummed i didn't try it :( must do it soon, this sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks awesome! i want to create!

    ReplyDelete