Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Caffe Graffiti

I was fairly busy last Friday being that it was the first one in two weeks where I was not traveling, so I knew I wanted to lunch close to home. And although it was overcast, I wanted to challenge the impending rainstorms and dine on a patio. The North End isn't known for its abundance of outdoor dining space, but a select few restaurants bordering the Greenway on Cross Street offer fairly spacious patios. One of these is Caffe Graffiti located directly on the Freedom Trail with a lunch menu offering simple Italian staples like pizzas, paninis and pastas. The hostess allowed me to choose a table, so I settled in at a two top and situated myself facing the downtown skyline. I started off by ordering a glass of Prosecco ($9). Friday at noon? Why not! Caffe Graffiti offers a small wine list, beer and cordials as well as specialty Italian sodas and coffees. My crisp and refreshing prosecco hit the spot and my Prosciutto Panini ($7) followed in similar form. Soft hearty focaccia bread evenly sandwiches layers of salty prosciutto, fresh mozzarella + tomatoes laced with thinly sliced basil and drizzled in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This was a delicious panini and the lightly dressed greens were a perfect side. I was impressed with Caffe Graffiti for a quick and easy lunch with polite service to fit the bill. I would be happy to return and sample more of the menu, or to relax even longer and sip a cappuccino or espresso. (I have since heard the make some of the best cappuccinos around and now I wish I didn't miss out!) The patio is clean and inviting dotted with blue Peroni umbrellas. It beckoned in quite a few Freedom Trail walkers during the course of my lunch. In addition, it makes for some prime people watching amid the hustle and bustle of the North End gateway. Serving well made Italian staples with fresh ingredients, I would recommend Caffe Graffiti for a low key, inexpensive lunch outing in the North End.

64 Cross St
Boston, MA 02113

13 comments:

  1. That sandwich looks so good! Can't wait for next week's SLS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, a nice patio makes up for no frills in other areas. It looks like a lovely lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sandwich looks good enough to replicate at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sandwich looks great and I need to go there for the people watching. The North End is FANTASTIC for people watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect lunch - must try the cappuccino! Hard to believe it is so difficult to find outdoor eating...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your summer lunch series! I've never heard of Caffe Graffiti before, thanks for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. drinking at noon...i like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think one of my fave things about you is booze with every meal.

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Friday lunch series! I can't believe it is already August though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a perfect lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like such a nice summer lunch :) Now I want a sandwich!
    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love proscuitto and prosecco. Sounds like my perfect lunch!

    ReplyDelete