Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Guacaholics | Rattlesnake Bar + Grill

The Second Annual 'Guacanon' as it is commonly abbreviated was held at Poe's Kitchen at The Rattlesnake with proceeds to benefit Lovin' Spoonfuls and Community Servings - two local hunger relief organizations.I ended up scoring tickets at the last minute through Urban Daddy but had I known about the event before hand (which apparently sold out in 5 minutes) I'd say it's easily worth shelling out the small price of a ticket ($10) to feast on the avocado in its finest form. I brought my sister along as my plus one; we had a great time sipping margaritas and sampling each and every guacamole offered, starting with the amateur guacmakers who just so happened to be a trio of friendly faces. Justin prepared an Asian influenced batch with ginger, scallions, water chestnuts and sriracha. It proved one of the most original and inspired guacs I tasted all night.The girls of We Are Not Martha prepared an equally fantastic Bacon Guac with grilled corn, onions and queso blanco. Besides Poe's Kitchen, the other Boston based Mexican restaurants shelling out green goodness by the cup or spoon full included local chains Anna's Taqueria and Boloco, tequila havens Temazcal and Papagayo, Brighton and Fenway taquerias, El Pelon and La Verdad; respectively, Back Bay's Zocalo and Inman Square's Ole. A good majority of these restaurants boast award winning versions and justifiably so. I reviewed Zocalo's guac on a recent visit, tonight's batch did not disappoint. Otherwise - I was sampling all these creations for the first time!Temazcal's guacamole mountains were laced with a serious amount of onions adding a super sharp, pungent zing to their batch. I adored the versions that incorporated summer fruit lending a welcome sweetness and juicy texture. Poe's was defined by huge chunks of peaches, while Ole went the route of adding mangoes and sliced almonds! Diverse guac at a scene like tonight is easy to love. My sister and I both agreed La Verdads was our absolute favorite. With serrano chilis, charred corn, cilantro and salsa roja, its slow burning spice took the creamy avocados to another level. The event saw a huge turnout. How fantastic that Boston restaurants + the food community came together to raise money for local hunger relief organizations! 

20 comments:

  1. This looks like such a fun event! And I'm not surprised that Justin's guacamole was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ole's sounds delicious! I love mango.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much guacamole, so little time! Looks like a really fun event. I love that Poe's and Ole added fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I'd been free that night! So many creative guacamoles sounds heavenly. And Justin's especially sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm bummed that I missed out on this, I love guac!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely have to keep this event on my radar. I love gauc too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i had known about this- YUM. The We Art Not Martha and Le Verdad ones sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a fun night - LOVE a good guac - now I just have to get to all of these places!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the mention! I'm glad you had a good time. It was great seeing you and meeting your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love guac! All of the creations at this event sound and look so innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. no wonder it sold out in 5min :) guacamole is one of the worlds perfect foods! looks like a fabulous event!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing! Dying to try!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a feeling La Verdad would score some points. I have heard fanulous things and keep meaning to go eat there. This event would have been right up my alley. I definitely belong in Guacaholics Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guac is my favorite food- I am definitely going next year no matter what. Wow, everything looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Guacamole rocks on most everything.


    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com
    http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a lot of fun! I wish I had known about this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This would be my idea of heaven. Seriously. I am a total guacaholic. I haven't found many places that can compare to Chipotle though, I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  18. okay this is pure heaven. guacamole may, in fact, be my favorite food.

    hope you're hanging in there girl.

    xoxo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm, what an awesome event! I'll have to try and go next year :)

    ReplyDelete