Thursday, November 10, 2011

Casa Battlò | Barcelona

A fantastically whimsical house designed by Antoni Gaudi, Casa Batllò delights with shapes and textures inspired from nature. Fish scale shingles form the roof and ceramic tree tops the chimneys. Doors are shaped like mushrooms and windows like clouds. Waves crash on ceilings and a snail shell coils into a banister. Colorful tiles and vivid mosaics captivate at every turn. Stained glass takes on forms and colors like you've never seen it. Hardwood floors and furnishings tie everything together with a polished finesse. It's an intricately imaginative space, a work of thought provoking architecture both inside and out.

Here are some of my favorite photographs from our tour.
Casa Battlò is located at 43 Passeig de Grassia in the city's Eixample District. It is open daily from 9am - 8pm. Adult admission includes an audio-guided tour and costs 20.

17 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite parts of Barcelona. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool place. Great photos! Your reviews of Spain are really moving it up my "to-go-to" list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, this house is SO cool! It feels like Alice in Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaudi is my biggest reason for wanting to go to Barcelona! I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those pictures. that looks like such a cool place. lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are fantastic! You are making me really want to go to Barcelona immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I studied architecture in college and know Gaudi well. Love his stuff. Your pictures are fantastic. Looks like an excellent tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fantastic photographs! I would love to go see Gaudi's work someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the architecture is so amazing! i love the stained glass windows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet again, what a neat location. I feel like Barcelona is an underappreciated place for architecture. Or maybe I just didn't know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such am amazing photographer!!!! It makes me want to go back to Barcelona to see if your way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The architecture is just astounding! I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to take a travel photography lesson from you, they are all so different, colorful and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gooorgeous. I didn't go inside when I visited Barcelona but I think I saw it from the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. definitely getting an Alice vibe from these. love that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are seriously making me want to go on vacation with all these recaps. The architecture looks so whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dad is an architect and flipped when we visited! So many thoughtful and cool touches!

    ReplyDelete