Monday, July 22, 2013

Milwaukee

In late June, I took a trip with friends to visit friends who live in Milwaukee. After having spent time last year in the state's capitol of Madison, I was so glad to return and experience more of the lovely state that is Wisconsin.
Milwaukee, nicknamed Brew City and overlooking the vast Lake Michigan, is home to Miller Park where we took in a Brewers vs. Cubs game, and to Summerfest, a two week long music festival where we saw Fun. one night and Tom Petty another. (Both incredible shows! Tom Petty though, wow.)
We went on a brewery and bar crawl along the Riverwalk and the next day we explored the public market and art museum. We ate some really good meals and drank a lot of good beer.

Here's the run down of restaurants, all of which I would highly recommend should you ever find yourself in Wisconsin's largest city... 
Seafood dinner at the chic and classy Harbor House overlooking the lake 
Mexican and plenty of tequila shooters at BelAir Cantina 
Lunch in the Historic Third Ward on Wicked Hop's sidewalk 
Cheese curds, pulled pork, tater tots and craft canned beers outside at Hooligans
Cashew chicken salad and delish beer at Milwaukee Ale House 
Breakfast on the sun drenched Alterra patio
Tapas, (omg those patatas bravas!) local cheese plates and fancy drinks at Allium 
A leisurely brunch, and perhaps my favorite meal of the trip (friend chicken and waffles, beermosas, incredible bloody marys!) on the Cafe Benelux roof deck

Our bar crawl where each and every spot proved to be lively and fun, with friendly bartenders, delicious beer and good crowds: 
Milwaukee Ale House | it began with beer samplers and lunch on the river
Mo's Irish Pub | here we discovered the vine video app! and I taught my gfs how to use twitter, hours of entertainment ensues
Rock Bottom Brewery | yes it's a chain but their wraparound outdoor bar and terrace, on the river, awesome
The Harp | gritty Irish pub w/ a sun drenched deck overlooking the river (pictured above)
Water Street Brewery | things got rowdy
Stubby's | really cool gastropub, all kinds of entertaining bar games like giant jenga and shuffleboard
BelAir Cantina  | a very tipsy and delicious Mexican dinner
Balzac | a trendy wine bar to end the festivities

Cheers, Milwaukee. Thanks for being such a blast. 

12 comments:

  1. looks like so much fun! that bloody mary looked amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um that sounds like SO much fun. Definitely living vicariously through you right now :) And if that is a sweet potato sliced up and loaded in the middle, I am REALLY jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your travels. I saw the fried chicken & waffles and questioned whether you were really in WI and not in SC! Haha. We have that dish everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a fantastic trip! heck yeah to the cheese curds :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great trip. Its funny I was only just hearing about what a great food scene Milwaukee has. It will have to go on my to visit list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a blast! I've been to Milwaukee a couple of times for work - I wanna go back and eat more cheese! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures! That brunch looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like so much fun! Also, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just say that I love that the only picture you posted of Summerfest was of a trash can? Lol. Milwaukee and it's residents miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to need to eat each and every item in this post. Holy bloody Mary! Milwaukee has never been on my list, but maybe now it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much fun. I've always wanted to see Milwaukee; I've heard such good things.

    ReplyDelete