Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Daily Catch | North End

The original Daily Catch in the North End is a no frills, cash only, hole-in-the wall establishment. The casual dive-y approach is all part of its charm - from the weathered tables and chairs, to the single chalkboard menu, the use of paper placemats, and especially the wine served in plastic cups. The tight dining quarters equals a usually lengthy wait evidenced by patrons forming a line that runs a block down Hanover Street. 
Fried Calamari ($9.75/small, $18.50/large) to start are an absolute must! Arguably some of the best in town achieving the ideal balance of crispy batter to toothsome tentacles, full of sweet ocean flavors with just a hint of olive oil. A dusting of fresh parsley, two juicy wedges of lemon and zesty marinara sauce for dipping finish off a perfect execution.
The Sicilian style seafood dishes are fresh, authentic and served piping hot in the pan in which they were prepared; the pasta bathing in every last drop of red sauce, garlic, olive oil and fresh herbs. 
I highly recommend the Tinta de Calamari which is Homemade Black Pasta ($10.50/appetizer, $21/ entree)
The thick ribbons of squid ink pasta laced with sinfully good olive anchovy butter coil around sautéed mushrooms, onions and red and green peppers in the Putanesca, while the Aglio Olio incorporates plentiful amounts of briny ground squid and sautés it simply with lots of garlic and olive oil. 
A Hanover Street mainstay and often overlooked staple in the Boston seafood scene, the original Daily Catch with an unassuming presence, warm cheerful service, and authentic Italian seafood dishes will hopefully leave you nothing short of impressed.
323 Hanover St
Boston, MA 02113

13 comments:

  1. Great pics! This reminds me I haven't been out in the North End in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have never been to the Daily Catch and I've been dying to go! The squid ink pasta looks so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I get a wha-wha! This place sounds amazing. Served right in the pan? Although I'm not a fan of calamari (one time bad experience talking here) - this looks like a fun place to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only been to the one near the courthouse on the water...such a nice spot!! And yes the calamari is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that these dishes are served right in the pan. The squid ink pasta looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That squid ink pasta is really intense looking. The space looks charming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me realize we need another North End date!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these sorts of places, and also a reminder that i need to eat in the north end more often :) happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been to the North End in FOREVER. I need to go back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm this looks like a place for me. I love Fried Calamari. I wish I could get it bagged so I could eat it like potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Daily Catch is a favorite of my parents. I haven't been in ages. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! sold by the calamari and i saw a black pasta recipe recently...i am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We used to come here whenever we visited Boston when I was a kid! I thought I was being so adventerous eating squid ink pasts. I haven't in years. We'll have to see how Fausto likes it!

    ReplyDelete