Friday, January 13, 2012

The Salty Pig

The Facts
The successful duo behind the South End's Coda and Jamaica Plain hot spot Canary Square launched this charcuterie focused eatery in Back Bay in July of 2011. The space at 130 Dartmouth Street was formerly occupied by Firefly and then the short lived Six Burner which closed in October 2010.
The Space
An angular bar sprawls across a stainless steel open kitchen, where a wood-fired oven glows from its perch, fronted by reclaimed wood communal high tops bathed in warm lighting from oversized dome fixtures. The lofty interiors back wall resembles a classroom chalkboard, scrawled with a mash up of geometrical equations infused with nods to the pig.
The Beer
The Salty Pig features an eclectic selection of American Craft Beers such as a the quadruple Pretty Things Baby Tree ($6) and a refreshingly bitter Blatant IPA ($6).The Baby Tree combines Viennak, chocolate and oat malts while the Blatant is a hoppy mash up of citrus and pine. I preferred the Baby Tree as I felt it complimented better the meats, but both represent the wide range of beer on tap from craft (both happen to be Massachusetts based) breweries.
The Charcuterie
Personalize your own board from a selection of:
1) House cured salty pig parts ($3-$7). Pictured is the wood oven fired Porchetta, where thinly sliced juicy coils of the pork shoulder is heaven on a charcuterie board. 2) Local + European sourced stinky cheeses ($6-$9) Familiar favorites grace the menu like Great Hill Blue from Marion, MA and Moses Sleeper from Greensboro, VT. Intriguing European selections include Silton (cow, strong, blue) from Colton Basset Dairy in Nottinghamshire, England and Chevrot (goat, mold ripened, mild) from Poitou-Charentes, France.3) Local + seasonal accoutrements ($1 each) To round out the palate choose from a selection including marinated olives, chianti jelly, clover honey, balsamic onion jam and more. Pictured are the zesty Basque Peppers.Each board comes with house made pickles, Dijon mustard and crostini.
The Pizza
The Salty Pig Pizza ($14) features a daily selection of salty pig parts sliced to a pristine thinness layered over parmigano oil, topped with fresh arugula and an inventive pale ale vinaigrette. While certain bites delivered on the intensely salty front as advertised, the pizza is far from one note. In the next bite taste a fascinatingly sweet slice of meat, after that a pronounced spiciness charges the palate. Its not a bad idea to forgo the wooden board all together and have your charcuterie over a thin crust wood-fired pizza. It might seem much less exotic than its predecessor, but the Mushroom Pizza ($12) is still an enticing option with herbs, tomato, mozzarella and a farm egg.
The pizza crust is more soft than it is crispy but still well baked. These are the kind of pies you can eat four or five pieces easily without feeling stuffed. I admired this quality about them.
The Bottom Line
With a fun concept that is well executed start to finish and attentive friendly service to match, I would definitely recommend indulging in some salty pig parts at this casual Back Bay establishment.
130 Dartmouth Street
Boston, MA 0211

20 comments:

  1. I love The Salty Pig! You have some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought my bf to The Salty Pig for his birthday back in September - we liked it a lot! I was surprised by how good the pizzas were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing about this place! I think it's moving rapidly to top of my list of places I need to try. I love Baby Tree! Sounds like Brian would be thrilled with the beer list too ;) Great review, everything sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to try the porchetta and the Salty Pig pizza next time I go back. Had a great first visit there not too long ago. Interesting space and tasty food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go here just so I can say I've eaten at the salty pig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to try the pizza and the stinky cheese plates. I love salty pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful review! I like the restraint exercised on the pizzas. They seem to have a nice balance of flavors without piles and piles of toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I've been wanting to go here... the pizza and pickles totally convince me it's time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work pretty close to their and have been wondering what it was like inside- I definitely want to try those pizzas now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great photos...everything looks delicious, and I don't even eat meat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Salty Pig could be my kind of place. Salty, Sweet, & Spicy, that sounds just right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh mushroom pizza!! I thought they were escargot before I read the description for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved my quick stop at the Salty Pig back in December! I was with my friend Erin and I got her to try soppressata. We only had that with some cheddar cheese, but it was delicious. I really want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this spot! i agree with all of your sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the decor. I really want to try the pizzas and cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, will have to remember this place next time i get back to Boston! it sort of reminds me of a gastro-pub like feel. the pizzas look amazing!

    ReplyDelete