Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Brunch at Mistral

Among the cities most celebrated fine dining restaurants and one of my personal favorites for French cuisine that achieves the eloquent balance of being sophisticated and comforting is Mistral. For 15 years Mistral has been catering to crowds of longtime regulars and newcomers a like, welcoming Bostonians into a contemporary space tastefully decorated with Provencal inspired accents. On Sunday morning the restaurant is bright and airy as opposed to the dramatic low lighting that envelops during dinnertime. A handsome slate floor underfoot, rows of potted cypress trees climb towards soaring ceilings which meet sweeping yellow curtains and pale green upholstered booths. The rustic-chic bar and lounge area is empty at this hour, but the dining room is bustling. It was my first time here for brunch (you can read my dinner experience here. Also - I did not formally review it but they do a great job during restaurant week!) To start we were served moist crumb cakes wrapped up in a neat and tidy package with a duo of soft and creamy butters. The apple butter was definitely a nice touch. They offer an array of fancy breakfast cocktails and although I was a little fuzzy headed from the night before, I knew one would do me some good. The Strawberry Bellini ($10) was equal parts sweet and fizzy, laced with a juicy house made strawberry puree. It presents a fresh alternative to the same old mimosa (though you still have the option to keep it traditional.) My friend ordered the Graham Cracker Crusted Challah French Toast ($15) which came with vanilla poached seckel pear and mascarpone chantilly. This brunch staple can usually benefit from an inventive twist, the graham cracker crust added an extra layer of both a mildly sweet flavor and slightly crunchy texture. Additionally, the syrup presentation was rather charming in a vintage looking glass bottle. A skillet of hearty Lyonnaise Potatoes come with the french toast, they are tender and well seasoned laced with slightly charred red onions. I had my work cut out for me with a large skillet containing Confit of Duck and Root Vegetable Hash ($19) with three sunny side up farm fresh eggs. I though the confit was exquisite, the range of textures beautifully done where flavorful meaty bites mingle with crispy seared pieces. The root vegetables, particularly the carrots added genuine brightness necessary to offset the rich and succulent duck. The eggs were not especially runny but still gooey enough to add their ideal compliments. The roasted cherry tomatoes were a perfect finishing touch. Not unlike dinner, brunch at Mistral is certainly a worthy splurge, where a fanfare of Southern French inspired cuisine celebrates the region with consistently excellent food and cocktails.

223 Columbus Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

27 comments:

  1. I went there for my bday dinner a couple years ago...this brunch is calling my name. Must go back for the bellini and that hash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to Mistral for the first time in forever for dinner and it was delicious - but that root hash is calling my name, I may have to head back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love your brunch dish! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably order any brunch dish if it had duck confit. I'm always looking for new brunch spots in Boston, so I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mistral! We need to plan another girls' night out there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place. The food looks amazing and as always, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mistral doesn't get much play anymore, and it's one of my favorite restaurants. I don't think they're capable of serving a bad meal. I have wanted to go there for brunch for a very long time, and the current menu looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks tasty and I love the presentation of each of the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooohmygod. Why have I not been here for brunch?! I love Mistral and everything looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. second emily's comment.

    also the picture of the bar is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww I remember our dinner there! I haven't been for brunch but will certainly keep it in mind now after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mistral has never been high on my list because I'm not usually into French food, but my god their brunch looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, this brunch... i need to get out more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would just eat the crumb cakes all morning. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The graham cracker encrusted french toast is a must have! I think I'll order the potatoes too and really get my carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! the pictures you took here should be featured on their website- just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved dinner there so I'm sure I would love brunch too! And I'd probably order the same thing you did, including that strawberry bellini!

    ReplyDelete
  18. your pictures are friggin fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of graham cracker crusted french toast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The french toast looks amazing. Actually everything looks amazing! You really did a great job on the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The duck confit hash looks delectable. I would love to try this place. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This entire meal looks incredible - but especially that French toast!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My absolute favorite restaurant in all of Boston and I am ashamed to admit I have never been there for brunch. I am making a reservation for this weekend! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, everything looks fantastic. That hash in a skillet is beautiful. Even when you don't blog about food, your blog is such a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy smokes, that all looks fantastic! I've never been to Mistral, but it's going to get added to the list! That french toast looks particularly to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! I was just there last Tuesday for Restaurant Week and now I want to go back for brunch! As always, your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! I was just there last Tuesday for Restaurant Week and now I want to go back for brunch! As always, your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete