Friday, March 2, 2012

b street.

On Tuesday I met one of my college girlfriends for dinner at b Street in Newton Center. The appeal of being located directly on the T (green line) is a win for me. This neighborhood is quaint and feels like an easy going mix where the city meets the suburbs. B street fits right in with the local vibe - cozy and welcoming with a trendy atmosphere. Corinne and I enjoyed some wine, cocktails, appetizers + dessert. We were seated at a high top in the bar so we felt content to linger, (catching up for over three hours!!) our waitress  kindly reassuring us that it was no problem when an hour passed and we still had yet to order food. When we finally did I was delighted by what Chef Scott Keith as well as pastry Chef MacKenzie Courington dished up. The bartender muddled one seriously good old fashioned, the Newton Old Fashioned ($12) to be precise with Woodford Reserve, bitters, cherry, orange and raw sugar. Later, I drank a most excellent Black Cherry Manhattan ($14) where Makers Mark is stirred with house made black cherry sweet vermouth and served up. The Steamed Mussels ($12) were plump and came bathing in a heavenly mixture of Belgian Lager with champagne mustard, clarified butter, chunks of roasted garlic and thick slices of grilled sourdough toast. Served on a chic bamboo board the Grilled Flatbread ($12) started with a sticky sweet fig jam base loaded with tender duck confit, tangy gorgonzola cheese and a strip of peppery arugula on top. It was fantastic!I was definitely pleased with the portion size of the appetizers, I felt that they offered a lot of food for the price. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgeable when it came to menu items, from her descriptions of the white wines Corinne debated over to enticing us with desserts, we appreciated her input. Without it we might not have experienced the magical trio of decadent chocolate, luscious caramel and a host of crunchy peanuts which formed the Salted Peanut Turtle Tart ($8). B Street does not take reservations, when I arrived at 6:15 there were a good amount of clientele settled in, but still a few open tables and bar stools to be claimed. I like that it was busy but not overwhelmingly crowded. If I lived in the neighborhood I could definitely see myself becoming a regular!

17 comments:

  1. I have been to B Street! Definitely a good neighborhood spot, and your photos are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to recommend this place to my sister since she lives so close to Newton now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to explore certain parts of Newton in college and always loved finding hidden gems. I've heard some musings about B st. I will definitely take that fig flatbread and the tart of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slowly realizing that Newton has a lot of great restaurants to offer (51 Lincoln comes to mind, too!). Looks like a great meal/night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fantastic write-up. Great pics as well.

    Have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa,that salted Peanut Turtle Tart looks dangerously delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salted peanut turtle tart... yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of B street, and yes I should venture out to Newton more often too! That salted peanut turtle tart is making me drool...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely need to try that flatbread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any salted dessert is usually a winner in my book. Looks divine! And I love flatbread.

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As Mayor of BStreet (on 4sq) and a Newton Centre resident, I find their food, drinks and pastry to be a delight. It's a fantastic restaurant addition in our neighborhood and I love all that they have to offer. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there! Hopefully next time we can meet you for a cocktail or more! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so great that there are places like this outside the city. Looks like you had an fantastic time catching up with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you liked it! It's definitely been a perfect addition to Newton Centre. Your flat bread is one of my go-to's :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want a coffee table book of your food photography!!! That dessert looks almost too good to eat - and yet wow, who wouldn't eat it?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) I don't know what is making me drool more, the memories of the food or your perfectly descriptive word choices. Were we really chatting for an hour before we ordered!? oops I should have tipped our waitress more ha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woo hoo! You went to my hometown of Newton, MA! I grew up going out to eat in Newton Centre my whole life. I haven't been to B Street yet, but now after reading your review, I just might make a point of it!

    ReplyDelete