Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Lansdowne Pub | Brunch

Sunday morning on Lansdowne is an impeccably quiet scene. As I made my way down the deserted street which borders Fenway Park to the latest Boston Brunchers outing, signs of the previous nights debauchery lingered in the snow. The Lansdowne Pub banner twinkled in solidarity set against a blue bird sky with the Prudential Building towering in the distance. I was decidedly more content to settle into the spacious yet cozy Irish Pub at 10:30 am on a Sunday morning as opposed 10:30 pm on a Saturday night. Time of day aside, drinks were most certainly in order. (Pre-gaming for the Patriots playoff game sounds about right!) Many of us started off with one of three signature brunch cocktails. The Liquid Caramel Coffee combining Baileys, Kahlua, Butterscotch Snaps and milk was equally strong and sweet. There is no coffee in the drink (just coffee liqueur) so don't let the name mislead you.It is reminiscent of a white Russian minus the punch of vodka, swap in some creamy Baileys and sticky butterscotch. Liquid Caramel Russian, anyone?
Heavy and ornate chandeliers hang from exposed ceilings that meet brick walls adorned with Guinness paraphernalia and Irish Heritage décor. Pretty stained glass windows give way to snug booths and inviting rooms with iron fireplaces. I've been to The Lansdowne once before, last January as a matter of fact, for a Seasonal Beer Dinner which impressed far more than I expected from a Fenway Park bar. The weekend brunch was similarly impressive, though somehow I still did not expect the kitchen to turn out dishes as delicious as they did. The true test lies in the Traditional Irish Breakfast ($13) which is a well received plate of Irish bacon, white & black pudding, breakfast bangers, a grilled tomato, Batchelor's bean's and fried eggs. The homefries ($3 for a side portion) are excellent - golden brown and pleasantly crispy, void of excess grease and nicely laced with thin strands of onion. A monstrous slice of Lansdowne Pie ($10) where Irish ham, eggs, potatoes, spinach, onions and cheddar cheese are layered for days and surrounded by a toasty, flaky crust. Sometime around the new year I resolved to branch out at brunch. This means straying from my typical fare of Eggs Benedict (or anything with eggs, really) and Bloody Marys - if only just for a few meals in January. If there was ever a time to order Buttermilk Pancakes ($9), it would be the time they come topped with Baileys infused whipped cream and strawberries. The silky whipped cream melted into ultra light pancakes; these didn't sit heavy in your stomach like some pancakes tend to do. A golden buttery lacquer forms the exterior while the interior yields supreme fluffiness. I washed the pancakes down with a juicy mimosa.Since this meal was complimentary all I had to pay for was the waitresses tip. (You know I have to tell you that right? There is a blogger law somewhere that says so.) I try very hard not to let that influence my feelings about the food. Brunch here was great and I would have happily paid $9 for that beautiful plate of pancakes!

9 Lansdowne St
Boston, MA 02215

15 comments:

  1. I've had similar feelings about the Lansdowne Pub. Every time I go there, I'm pleasantly surprised by their food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought to head down to Landsdowne for brunch but this looks like a great spread - especially that enormous pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That breakfast pie looks delicious - would have never thought to go there for food, but obviously I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Lansdowne pie looks awesome! I was really impressed at the seasonal beer dinner too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. who knew?! should've visited when I lived in fenway :) well, it's not too late as i'm not that far away now, lol. loving the looks of that landsdowne pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those pancakes looks yummy and 9 bucks is totally reasonable, plus that Liquid Caramel Russian sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only been to the Lansdowne Pub for drinks - I'll have to go back for the food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this brunch looks great- I want those fries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh who knew they had such an awesome brunch at The Landsdowne?? I had no idea. I need that liquid caramel coffee immediately! Or at least for Thursday morning breakfast :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too try to branch out from my usual eggs at breakfast time but it's not easy to do! I could eat an entire plate of home fries - not even going to lie about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always happy to sit next to a friendly bruncher who likes to share :) It was great to see you after a too long hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm usually a sweets at brunch person but it's been forever since I had a good plate of pancakes. I want some now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that pie looks so goood..very unique dish for brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Despite the Bailey's, I have to say, my eyes are going right to that pie. The homefries look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for the shout out! it was a delicious brunch!

    ReplyDelete