Friday, September 24, 2010

Barracuda Tavern

The other day I ran into an old high school friend who I hadn't seen in years. We decided to catch up over drinks at Downtown's newest locale occupying the second story of a tiny space off Bosworth Street - The Barracuda Tavern.
Down a narrow alley, at the entrance it felt sort of speakeasy-ish. Thank goodness for the timid neon sign blinking 'open' coaxing me in!I realize there is a sign but all things considered it is pretty small and placed appropriately well overhead. I made my way up the dimly lit stairwell painted in black and to my surprise entered a polished, brightly lit space with high ceilings, vivid blue walls, shiny hardwood floors and bumpin' music. The crowd at first glance was intimidating. Feeling like I had entered a secret society, the tiny L shaped bar to my left sat only, I repeat, only middle to upper aged men. A quick glance around at the tables set me a little more at ease when I spotted a group of twenty or thirty somethings enjoying beers and laughs. I also spotted the USS Barracuda. The momentary uneasiness quickly disappeared when multiple members of the staff welcomed me and just my luck as two seats at the bar opened up. I was impressed by the selection of beer on tap as well as the unique list of bottled beers and micro brews. I love debating over new-to-me and intriguing beer options. I spotted Woodchuck Pear Cider ($5) on tap which I have only had in the bottle. It was crisp with a slightly sweet pear effervescence that went down easy. Matt and I decided to share a plate (actually, a bowl!) of the Fried Calamari ($9).
The deep fried squid was fresh and the sauce drizzled on top really worked in the dishes favor. As we caught up over our second and third round of drinks, the music grew louder, the average age of patrons leveled off, and the smells of fried seafood wafted through the tavern. I almost forgot I was in Downtown Crossing. I have a feeling that this tiny yet to be discovered by mainstream YPs upstairs oasis is destined to become a local favorite to grab a beer and enjoy a quality bite of seafood! 
15 Bosworth St
Boston, MA 

20 comments:

  1. Ooh Baracuda looks fun!

    Enjoy your weekend! See ya on Sunday!

    LOVE Big Bang Theory, Grey's, Private Practice, The Office, Parenthood... can't wait for Sunday night -- Desparate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a busy busy girl!!! I don't watch any of those shows- I guess my tv watching is just for trash tv- ya know Jersey Shore and the Housewives with some Top Chef and Chopped worked in plus GG and Mad Men! Have a fun weekend... I'll be in your old stomping grounds tonight too- have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Press on indeed! Looks like you have such a fun weekend ahead. I'm going to Nantucket in a couple of hours so I'm super excited :) And yes, let's plan to have dinner at Mistral soon! (Hi Megan!) Pick a date sometime in the next couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pear Cider! Enjoy Lord Hobo... it's literally down the street from me and you will not be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow thats a packed weekend, have a great time

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are going to have one jam-packed weekend! I am too...and it will be great to re-cap it all over brunch on Sunday! My must-see fall shows are Gossip Girl, Modern Family, Dexter and Fringe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and I'm SUPER jealous you went to Barracuda. I'm dying to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, you're certainly keeping quite busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honey try to find 10 minutes for a nap!! You are non-stop!!

    During this 10 minutes you MUST watch My Generation. I watched it last night and it was ridiculous good. Off the hook good!!

    Have a great weekend!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again an exciting weekend?! you lucky girl!:) I love bachelorette parties, but since no one is getting married around here there haven't been any in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I can't wait for shit my dad says, love that book! Sounds like a fab weekend, outfit changes galore! I was thinking about you last night, we had dinner at a Pastis-style bistro in the ATL, really nice men (traditional bistro stuff, croque monsieur et madame, pate, frisee salad with lardons (my fave), food didn't quite live up to the promise of the menu, but you would have enjoyed blogging it! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm throwing a couple "you can do it!"'s in your direction! Wow, what a weekend, can't wait to hear all about it on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a fun-filled weekend ahead! I'm gonna check out Barracuda.

    Fall shows: 'Fringe', 'How I met Your Mother', 'Modern Family' (I watch it online, though), and, hmmm, that's it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like such a fun weekend - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you feel better ASAP. Being sick when you've got a full schedule is the pits. That said, it sounds like nothing can get in the way of the fun stuff you've got on the agenda for the weekend. I am particularly envious of your SPA DAY! Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your crazy weekend makes my crazy weekend sound pretty mellow! I hope you are having a great time at the Bachelorette Party and I hope you are feeling better. You are a total trooper Daisy!

    My must see TV is America's Next Top Model. Now that Top Chef is over I think that's about it! I feel oddly relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you had fun this weekend! I need to myself myself some of that pear cider!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like such a fun weekend - hope you enjoyed your spa day :) I'm a cider fan too and need to try the pear version!

    ReplyDelete