Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lord Hobo

It's all about the neighborhood eats this weekend; from Washington Square in Brookline, to the North End in Boston, to somewhere in between Kendall and Inman Squares in Cambridge. Respectively, The Abbey made a great first impression with their fried halloumi cheese appetizer and Bison Bolognese entrĂ©e, Taranta kept me in her good graces with a hearty fall butternut squash + sage ravioli and an awesome Pisco Sour. Now Lord Hobo caps off a weekend of fantastic eats with an inventive brunch menu and creative breakfast cocktails to boot.
The first official Boston blogger brunch commenced in a cozy residential neighborhood outside Kendall at Lord Hobo. Lord knows I wasn't the only one nursing a hangover that morning. Sometimes all the body needs is a stiff bloody mary and some greasy eggs and toast. So the question of the hour begged, could the Lord save my Sunday?(the night before):
[Side note to those of you who commented on the pumps - Steve Maddens I got at Macy's for $18 on some ridiculous clearance rack marked down 9 times over. Originally a $100 pair of heels. Score.]
An edgy hipster vibe emits from the industrial meets funky atmosphere with exposed metal pipes, low hanging light bulbs and walls painted red with black trim. Brightly colored canvas prints are displayed.
The water is served in mason jars and the mimosas in coupe glasses. 
Ice cold and very necessary.
Also very necessary was a Bloody Mary ($7)
Deliciously spicy and full of vodka, though, that's no ordinary celery stick - it is actually a pickled celery. It was briny with a hint of sweetness and much softer in texture than your classic stalk.
I'm sensing a trend. I ate pickled peaches in my salad the other night at Market and now a pickled celery stick in my bloody mary. If this is a new frontier in salad courses and drink garnishes, count me in!
Between all the bloggers in attendance we had the brunch menu covered. Check out Justin's Eggs Benedict ($12) with speck, spinach and hollandaise.
And Renee's Cuban braised pork ($13) with salami, swiss, pickled veg and fries
Both worthy choices. I stepped outside my comfort zone and chose the Pork Belly Hash ($14) with sunny side up eggs.
I usually forgo the hash option in favor of an eggs benny, but I do love a rich tender pork belly. The presentation in a round Staub cast iron skillet with two bright yellow eggs staring up at me was all it took to convince me I made the right choice.
But I definitely had to work for it, the cuts of pork belly were massive! The home fries were no bite-size picnic either.
Despite the extra effort involved, the roasted pork belly were exceptionally moist and delicately fatty, combined with onions, spinach, corn, runny eggs and greasy home fries. I could literally feel the hangover subsiding. I ordered a side of wheat toast & jam (before I knew the size of my meal.) A little sweet to go alongside the savory makes brunch for me.
Stomach: full. Hangover: cured. Buzz lingering from the Bloody Mary: something like that.
92 Hampshire Street
Cambridge, MA 02139

22 comments:

  1. Omg I'm drooling over everyone of those meals right now!!

    PS - Your before and after was totally me last friday night! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pork sandwich is calling my name! This is my type of place. I'll have to check it out soon. Johnny D's in Somerville is my favorite brunch spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pickled asparagus! Many, many stalks of pickled asparagi (is that the plural ;)! We are SO alike, I would have debated over the Benedict and pork belly hash, then eventually settled on the hash (I adore pork). Yum. You look good even hungover! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I burst out laughing at your before and after shot...and thanks for the info on the shoes! I love it when you get something that everyone compliments...and its on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm pork belly hash! Like Michelle, I love your before and after shot. I cannot live without giant sunglasses - esp after big nights out! I want to go to the next blogger brunch! And we still need to set a date for our Mistral dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha - love the morning-after photo! I wish I looked as decent after a long night out :) I keep saying this on people's Lord Hobo posts, but I can't believe I haven't tried their brunch since they're right down the street! The eggs benny look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok all you guys are wayy to nice! I was trying to document that i looked like crap. seriously. At least I gave you a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to check this out, your breakfast looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are fantastic! Again, so nice meeting you on Sunday. Hope we can sit closer at the next brunch so we can chat more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pickled vegetables! I saw eggs benedict on a menu last week and it's on my to-eat-next-time list!!! And oh, I hate hangovers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the best advenutres. Inspired choice of the pork belly dish. I'd probably gone the same way.

    Thanks for joining in on the conversation yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like my kind of weekend. Gotta love being able to dine with other foodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a yummy place but I still cant get over $18 pumps, thats quite a find

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like amazing hangover food- I could've used that on Tuesday after the company outing Monday night lol. I was def a hot mess....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if anyone at Lord Hobo reads our posts. Would be interesting if we went back and the hash was nicely diced. I, too, love the before and after shots! Had a lovely breakfast with you. Hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the canvas prints on the walls! That type of decor is my favorite - the SoHo-ish feel...does that make any sense at all?? :)

    Breakfast looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. pork belly hash? pickled celery in can't remember the name of that wonderful drink...uh we need to live in the same city and dine on a regular basis. you're my kinda girl!!

    xoxo,
    carrie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol I LOVe the before and after pictures- especially the after, awesome hangover picture really. Glad it was solved with some brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM!!!!!!!!!!! Omg that eggs benedict looks to die for! I am dying to go to brunch sometime soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's probably silly to comment about the water amidst all the great food, but I'm obsessed with the idea of a restaurant serving their drinks in mason jars!

    ReplyDelete