Saturday, November 13, 2010

Schnappers Hots, Oh Boy!

So far I've recommended The Lazy Flamingo and The Island Cow for fresh seafood eats and local Island fun. Both are quality restaurants to visit if you happen to spend any time on Sanibel. As far as must eats go, Schnapper's Hots makes the top of my list. What I'm saying is, if you miss all the rest or if you choose other restaurants to dine out at, do not bypass this gem of a hot dog stand. Located on the main strip at 1528 Periwinkle Way, Schnapper's boasts a front porch painted in the familiar island pastels of yellow, pink, blue and green with a contrastingly bright yellow awning. You can't miss it. (No really, you can't.) A plethora of options await you inside and they claim to have the Islands best pizza. I looked no further than the hot dog menu. (Specialty dogs are in abundance, do not be fooled by the below three.)I have never been to Chicago but am a huge fan of Chicago Dogs. Go figure. Right away I decided on "The Capone" ($4.50)
I appreciated the sarcastic humor as displayed in a "Same Day Service" sign. They also proudly display index survey cards with customer comments. (Where they're from, what they ate, what they thought.) Hopefully mine made it up, with the blog address of course! Adam got his favorite combo - sauerkraut, mustard and onion. (I think this one had a fun name, but it escapes me.)
"The Capone"
Best hot dog I've had in my life, hands down. (Sorry Fenway Franks. But you just can't get this in the ballpark.) Schnapper's serves a quality char-grilled dog and then loads it with the freshest ingredients of your (or their) choosing.The cold crunchy cucumbers and soft juicy tomato slices are in brilliant contrast with the warmness of the char-grilled dog. Freshly diced onions and a smother of relish provide a welcome dose of sweetness. The potent mustard and the incredibly spicy-hot sport peppers pack a final punch. All this goodness is barely contained in a soft chewy bun.
Happy satisfied customers:Oh Boy! is right. If that hot dog isn't heaven on an island already deemed heaven on earth, I don't know what is.

13 comments:

  1. Grilled hotdogs are my guilty pleasure - would it be weird to plan a FL trip just for hot dogs?? I hope not....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Capone" Oh yeah, that's totally your dog. A woman who can hold her liquor would enjoy a Capone. I can dig it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the awesomest hotdog I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still remember my dad forbidding me from eating hot dogs and even though I haven't had one in 10 + years I still remember how delicious they are.

    Love your effortless style Daisy! You look great even when biting into a hot dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great!
    Fenway franks are overrated ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been loving your posts from Florida! Makes me wish all these great places were closer....Blogger road trip? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love a good grilled hot dog! Have you tried Speed's? I'm not sure if it will be as good as what you had but they are pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to work at a baseball field and had to make the Chicago dogs, they are tasty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually really love hot dogs - yum!! Glad you had such a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmm chicago style hot dogs are so delicious! i love how the vintage looking signs read "oh boy!" cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! There's a little hot dog stand down the street from where I grew up and I have the best memories of hot dogs there. This stand looks even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Few treats in the world can rival the hot dog.

    ReplyDelete