Friday, November 12, 2010

Marliave | Cocktails

W.C. Fields ($10) Pimm's No. 1, Absolut Vodka, Cucumber, Lemon

Toto, we're not in Sanibel anymore.
It is with a bit of post vacation blues and temperature shock that I made my way through day one back in the office and the 30 degree city streets. It is no wonder I ended up in DTX after work sipping strong cocktails. The Marliave to the rescue!

Exhibit 1:
Exhibit 2:
No more Yuengling, Key Lime Martinis or Agave Margaritas for this girl!!
Exhibit 3:
Exhibit 4:
Exhibit 5:
We pour and mix to a different drum up here in Boston and rightly so. (Yuengling on tap really wouldn't hurt our cause, but then, it might not be such a special treat to drink it down South!) Anyways, I met up with pals Rachel and Christine at a crowded Marliave where we caught up over the latest "Smashes, Slings, Mules, Dasies, and Royales."I'm not sure which is what but here is what I do know: their cocktails are enough to make you forgo the pain and agony of returning to harsh winter temperatures from a land of summer sun. They remind me why I love this city and the bartenders who pour here. Why I live in a place where I get to experience all the seasons and the brilliance of fall and winter cocktail menus. Where the vintage Marliave bar is of simple black and white elegance with marble countertops, pressed tinplate ceilings and white globe lighting. I'll soon get used to the cold and I'll get through yet another winter, as long as I have libations like the ones served here to impress me. The drinks (and their lively garnish counterparts) at Marliave are as fantastic as they are photogenic.                     
The Professor ($10) Makers Mark, Cote de Rhone, Lemon, Maraschino
At Marliave they craft their cocktails the old fashioned way; using ice and mixers. I noticed immediately how huge and perfectly square their ice cubes were. I learned they invested in a specialty top of the line ice machine which makes the cubes from distilled water and of large proportion. This insures your ice cubes stay frozen longer, melting at not even close to the rate of crushed or smaller ice pellets. The result is a stronger and colder drink. As far as the mixers are concerned, they believe shortcut preparations like soda guns produce an inferior product which in turn ruins the quality of the top shelf liquors. I wanted to sample the entire libations menu and I intend to return for just that - and to have a proper meal!

The Marliave
10 Bosworth St
Boston, MA 02128

17 comments:

  1. Because of these pictures I am just soooo excited for the weekend. I'm having a ladies night with my friends, we are going to paint the town red. Have a happy weekend sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I don't know what's better...the drinks or the company? Rachel and Christine are the best! Actually, I think the last time I was at Marliave was with Rachel...and I definitely had the W.C. Fields!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to see you! Marliave's cocktails totally knock me out. I love them. If you get food next time, you've gotta try the French onion soup. It's one of my absolute favorites in Boston...or anywhere, really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Marliave! went for restaurant week this past winter and the food was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a Jersey boy, I miss Yuengling... in a bottle, but especially on draft. Anytime we're down visiting my family, we pick up a pack to bring back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a really convivial night (especially while crashing that other party... oops). It would be cool to hear stories from people who remember the old-old Marliave. The Welsh rarebit is on my bucket list of will-take-years-off-your-life-but-i-dont-care eats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sitting in a boring meeting and those drinks look amazing...jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww welcome back! TGFC! thank god for cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drink one for me, sista! Have a fabulous weekend! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  10. those cocktails look dangerous and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha, i love this post. The opening line made me laugh. Sorry you're away from the sunshine but welcome home!! At least it's supposed to be nice this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you make me realize I should branch out from different types of wine and try something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmm - i have got to go for cocktails with you - you would certainly get me inspired to try something new!!

    I walk by Marliave all the time and have never been there....its close to my office - i should check it out after work some day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to make frozen margaritas right now because of this post. Not kidding! Umm, I'll take one of each, please. Yum!

    P.S. Haven't said anything about it formally yet, but Daph and I eloped on the 5th. Eek! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suddenly, I'm thirsty for a cocktail! Looks like a fun place!

    ReplyDelete