Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Anthem Kitchen + Bar

Lunch at anthem kitchen + bar was nothing short of enjoyable; from the quality of the food, to the efficient service, to the tasteful atmosphere, everything about my experience at Anthem was pleasantly surprising. Since experiences are often based on expectations, what I had expected at Anthem was run of the mill pub food and bar staples. While the menu is based on such American classics, it was also unexpectedly inventive. Adam and I were out running errands when he announced his craving for buffalo chicken. I suggested Anthem on a whim, we checked the menu posted outside for said craving, and before you knew it, we were seated at a cozy table in the large windowed greenhouse placing our order for Buffalo Chicken Drumettes ($11). Eleven dollars for a typical buffalo chicken app is slightly over par, but for seven of these delectable drumettes in a mildly spicy buffalo glaze with crumbles of blue cheese lining the plate, they are well worth the price point. I couldn't get enough of the fancy drumette style, with the tender chicken and lightly crisp skin at one end, leaving the bone exposed at the opposite proves drumettes are a much cleaner eating experience compared to that of your typical bone-in buffalo drumstick or wing. And lets not forget the plentiful slices of crisp celery and carrots for dipping! To drink I ordered a Mai-Tai ($12) goslings dark + gold rums, orgeat almond syrup, lime, pineapple + grenadine. I don't usually go for Mai Tais but today it called to me!
I had no idea the vessel in which this would be served but HOW FUN. I was easily infatuated with the mean faced tribal masked tumbler and garnishes to boot. The drink itself was strong and sweet, the addition of orgeat syrup with a nutty almond flavor adds complexity. Ideally I would have enjoyed a little less crushed ice, but overall I was happy with the balance of rum to fruit flavors in anthem's mai thai. My Pulled Pork Flatbread Pizza ($14) was a generous portion size, wood grilled and oozing with melted fontina draped over honey chipotle BBQ pulled pork with beer braised onions and tomatoes. This is a sweet pizza! All that melty fontina cheese and fresh tomato lend contrast to the onions and honey laced pork. Served on a rustic wood board - once again I adored the presentation.I had leftovers for two days. (Late night New Year Eve snack!)Adam was not as impressed with his All American Burger ($14) Velveeta, onion strings, shaved bacon. He didn't enjoy the Velveeta (in retrospect, was not thinking about the true consistency of the cheese when he placed his order) and noted the shaved bacon had a strange taste and texture. The patty itself was fine, the downfall was in the odd combination of toppings. I would be weary a burger served with Velveeta cheese in any establishment. It seems strange!It wasn't too crowded as we seemed to miss the lunch rush, but a few tables were sat scattered about the light flooded greenhouse and a slew of patrons popped a bottle of champagne at the wraparound bar. We were seated at a comfy high table next to the expansive windows in one of the booths backed by red and orange fabric. The warm colors pop in a room of modern black tables and dark wood accents. An iron balcony sprawls above and a striking chandelier with stained glass and exposed bulbs hangs overhead.
I would not proclaim Anthem a Boston must visit but if you are nearby hoping to enjoy an after work cocktail in a comfortable environment or find yourself out and about in Faneuil Hall looking for some upscale American Bar food, definitely give them a shot!
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
101 S Market Street
Boston, MA 02109

22 comments:

  1. those wings look so crispy and mmmm that pizza! i want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to stop reading your blog before bed. where on earth can i get a chicken wing at this hour?? help!

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Velveeta? No thanks. I'll take the Mai Tai though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pizza looks SO SO good!! I didnt realize Anthem went to that location! I think it used to be near the Garden right? Went there a few years ago! yeah I see the idea behind the velveeta, but no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went with Alicia to Anthem for lunch once and I must confess...we ordered the same burger as Adam...and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. please tell me you were able to keep the mai tai glass!! that pizza looks like comfort food defined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How have I never heard of this place?! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Anthem! I've reviewed it on my blog before- not sure if they still have it but the Prosciutto Fig Tomato Flatbread and the Lobster cob were both fabulous!!! As well as the Lobster/Hanger Steak Tacos. I'm a huge fan of this place!!! But yes Velveeta cheese scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would not expect Anthem to have velveeta anything on their menu! I went there for the opening party last year and the food seemed very classy and velveeta, well it's just not exactly. I love a good melty cheese but velveeta doesn't do it for me! Pizza looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. not a home run but the drink looks tasty

    ReplyDelete
  11. great review! i had never heard of this place. that cup is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those buffalo wings look so good! Maybe I can talk some friends into going there on Saturday before our night on the town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look really cute with the Mai Tai! Love that, someone should do a revival of Trader Vic's, all Hawaiian theme, how cool would that be? I wish I had known you last time we were in Boston, I know our meals would have been totally different! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those drumettes are impressive. And that drink is definitely very eye-catching. Too bad Adam didn't like his burger, but I doubt I would have gone for the Velveeta myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, I think I need a Mai Tai. Either now or to get me through work tmrw.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Buffalo Chicken Drumettes look yummy here for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really need to try Anthem!! That flatbread looks and sounds amazing. Plus, I really want a mai tai :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  18. that pizza sounds/looks delicious! I went there when it used to be a steakhouse. will have to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm confused as to why any restaurant would advertise Velveeta on their menu? I mean, I'm sure places use it but to actually write it? Pretty gutsy if you ask me. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha. that mai tai glass is awesome. Looks like such a fun atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I ate there a LOT when I was in Boston because it was so close to the office. Michelle and I destroyed the velveeta burger! All their flatbreads area great - as are the soft taco appetizers, and shrimp corndogs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow, totally digging that tumbler! How wonderfully festive and quirky. Extra points to this restaurant!

    ReplyDelete