Friday, January 7, 2011

Lolita | Back Bay

Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar opened just last month on Dartmouth Street and has fast become a city dwellers must visit. In the space formerly inhabited by Papa Razzi, a mysterious and seductive vibe with red lighting, Gothic accents and rose petal centerpieces define this sprawling underground tequila den. Weathered hardwood floors and reclaimed iron gates fill the space where deep set wall crevices give way to flickering candles.Serving over 200 Tequilas and inventive margaritas (by the glass or pitcher) along with inspired Mexican dishes, its opening fills a niche for upscale Mexican food in a bustling neighborhood location seemingly void of such fare. Friends and I settled in at the reclaimed wood bar, scoring a couple of seats at the corner located next to the tequila shrine emitting a warm golden glow. Lolita was packed on a Thursday evening at 6:30 and only seemed to get busier as the night went on. Between six of us we sampled a good portion of the margarita menu from the classic Lolita ($12) made with sauza ‘100 years’, patron citronge, fresh lime, cane syrup & a squeeze of grapefruit to the sugary and spicy Diablo ($13) with lunazul reposado, luxardo triplum, serranochile, blood orange, pineapple & strawberry. My choice was a Spicy Cucumber ($13) consisting of don julio blanco, habanero infused vodka, patron citronge, fresh cucumber & lime. This drink brought the heat with a refreshing finish. My pregnant friend enjoyed the Lime Coco Aqua Fresca ($8) with fresh lime, coconut, citrus fruits & mint. Also pictured are Tequila shots, of which I sipped two over the course of the evening. The menu is downright fascinating offering shots from $6 to $450 (limited edition Cuervo 250 Aniversario) broken down into categories to help determine the palate. I chose from the "Hot Peppery" section an el charro ($6) served with an orange slice dipped in red sugar. It was smooth sipping, perhaps a little too smooth. As the evening progressed we were witness to a woman whose hair caught on fire from one of the many ornate chandelier candlesticks. It was not the below candle display looking like it was removed straight out of a Gothic cathedral where said woman's ponytail met its demise, however, beware the open flames!We shared a plate of the Chile-rubbed short rib nachos ($15) - which is more like a short rib dip - an ancho sauce with garlic, mushrooms and jalapeno crema. It comes with only a few chips for presentation but of course you'll have the house chips at your disposal! Included with the chips is a trio of flavorful salsas - roasted red pepper, crema, and tomatillo. There are four different kinds of guacamole on the menu. We chose the Fresco ($9) with red onion, tomato, cilantro and serrano chile. Yum!
I loved the Crispy Masa Oysters ($11). Five lightly fried east coast oysters are dusted with red chile masa, chipotle crema and a diced salsa giving way to clean sweet flavors. 
Our bartenders were most attentive and the food came out super fast. Overall the dishes we tried showcased inventive Mexican plates and I'd happily return to sample more of the menu and eat another plate of those oysters.Be sure not to miss the bathrooms! Mesmerized as I made my way down a dark twisty tiled hallway, set a glow by yet more candle light, Penelope greeted me at the door. Inside deep red damask wallpaper alternates with shiny white subway tile and sleek black sinks are adorned with crystal encrusted soap dispensers. Saloon style doors on the individual stalls open to reveal painted porcelain toilet bowls. If photographing toilets are wrong (annoying overused cliché as it goes) then I don't want to be right.
Lolita as a whole warrants just as much praise. A fun and exciting Mexican Cocina in a desirable Back Bay location is sure to thrive.

A glowing tequila haven can't keep us away from our go-to dive, and true to form we gallivanted down Dartmouth Street, past the extravagantly lit up Boston Public Library over to Delux to close out the night with Jen's Margaritas.
Tequila makes a night interesting/fun/crazy that is for sure.

271 Dartmouth Street 
Boston, MA 02116

23 comments:

  1. i would like to induldge in too much tequila with you. just fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bret also had the Spicy Cucumber cocktail and loved it! P.S. You're not the only blog that has featured Lolita's toilets - hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had stopped in the bathroom -- so neat! And I can't believe you saw someone's hair catch fire. Love the fresco guacamole... I'll go back any time -- just tell me when!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FOUR different kinds of guac? I must get there!!

    Great review, the cocktails look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god. I want to do bad things at this place. A womans hair caught on fire? What was this Puff Daddy party?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun night! I'm actually really glad I couldn't drink all that tequila, I would not be feeling good today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks like my kind of place. the Gothic style is so beautiful and smooth tequila puts a smile on face,not to mention that is one fancy toilet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm the oysters look amazing! I wish we had a better experience, but I will definitely go back to give it a try. LOL we weren't even there long enough for me to check out the ladies room, and THAT is unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That toilet is out of control!! I'm a fan of fancy bathrooms. Onto non bathroom talk, the colors in the guacamole are gorgeous. I want that and the bowl of chips right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear your review, it's been on my to-go list. I love a good cucumber drink myself. And agree that vodka AND tequila can be a dangerous combination. Heck, what doesn't kill ya ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can we go back? I want those short rib nachos!!! Looks like such an amazingly fun night and a school night with all that tequila? I don't know how you do it!!! PS- Those toilets are ridiculously beautiful- oxymoron?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think a blogger dinner to Lolita is in order! Sorry for just getting the tequila names to you now... I was separated from the list that my husband stole ;) Great review... I am now wanting lots and lots of chips and salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHA, I love that you brought your camera into the bathroom to snap a pic of that crazy toilet. The nachos look good as do that trio of dips! Will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wish I was there!!! they oyster stuff looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those nachos look good. It sounds like Lolita is coming out pretty well on the reviews I've been reading, however, the spice is noticeably absent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did someones hair really catch on fire? That is crazy! That place looks cool though..I love margaritas and I love that bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously?! This place looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. woaaah someone's hair caught on fire!?!? thats not good! how did they put that out? water or legit a fire extinguisher! yikes

    ReplyDelete
  19. this place looks so amazing! painted porcelain toilets, 4 different guacs, $450 tequila shots and someone's hair catching on fire. gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. NICE post! I cant wait to check out Lolita's -and you've made my excitement grow even more!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You & A definitely have to take J & I to this place!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!



    Hot food Disply Food Warmers

    ReplyDelete
  23. I Finally got to go! Waited an hour for a table but well worth it. Food and drinks were amazing..lets go back together sometime!

    ReplyDelete