Friday, January 14, 2011

Nacho Corn Soup

This super easy Mexican inspired Nacho Corn Soup is a staple in my winter cooking rotation. It made the blog in its early stages (last February) but I decided a reappearance was necessary. You can totally play around with the ingredients, add more jalapeno if you want a spicier version or more garlic because sometimes four cloves are better than three.
Ingredients:
  • 2 tomatoes sliced to 1/2 inches
  • 1 onion, sliced to 1/2 inches
  • 1 red pepper, quartered lengthwise
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and quartered lengthwise
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 (14 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 (14 ounce) can corn kernels
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced
Broil the tomatoes, onions, red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic for 6- 7 minutes on each side until nicely charred. Let the vegetables cool and puree in a blender.Combine the puree, broth, beans, and cilantro in a large soup pot.Boil, then reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 20 minutes.Let cool, then puree in batches. Return to the pot and bring to a boil once again. Add corn, lime juice, salt and cumin.Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with cheese, avocado slices, cilantro and tortilla strips. (I had Tostitos Scoops on hand.)Loaded with roasted red pepper, onions and tomato, giving way to bold flavors of cumin, lime and cilantro, swimming with sweet crunchy corn and bits of black bean, topped with cool avocado slices, crispy corn tortillas and shredded cheese this nacho corn soup has everything but the tequila. Ole!

12 comments:

  1. Looks simply and delicious!
    Just how I like it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tasty! I like the addition of the avocado to cool things down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, this soup looks amazing and so full of delicious flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous and full of such great flavors! I am definitely flagging this recipe for my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I am bookmarking this. The roasted veggies look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup looks really, really good! I love how everything gets blended up together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all those roasted veggies in it - looks super flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yumm, I want some!! Hooray for being in the top 10 today!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great. I love all the soup recipes I've been seeing recently!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this soup! Laura and I called it craig soup...ha. Leftovers will be so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm I love anything with tex mex flavors....YUM!
    Rafe and I are trying to make more meatless meals - and with Veg broth this definitely fits the bill for us!

    ReplyDelete