Thursday, January 20, 2011

Monday Funday | Sel De La Terre

Prior to the Boston Food Bloggers Launch Party I spent the Monday holiday with my girls Megan, Alicia, Michelle & Meghan. We enjoyed lunch at Sel de la Terre, sipped rum cocktails in front of a roaring fire at the InterContinental Hotel and befriended the staff at Union Bar and Grille all before 6 pm. Sel De La Terre is a French Brasserie serving cuisine inspired by the rustic country fare of Provincial and Southern France. The original location at 255 State Street sits among the bustling Long Wharf waterfront where their affordable and approachable "Salt of the Earth" Southern French cuisine has impressed critics and garnered high praise. Since the Long Wharf location opening ten years ago they expanded to the suburbs of Natick and then opened a third location in the Back Bay. Excited to finally pay them a visit I entered off the frigid (but at least sunny and blue skied) streets where a hostess warmly greeted me and took my coat. Seated in a corner table backed by a semi circular brown leather booth, the sunlight spilled in through the windows making the girls and I feel like we had the best table in the restaurant. I immediately dug into the basket of homemade breads and ordered a glass of Chianti from the cork board wine menu. I was leaning towards ordering the Duck Confit Sandwich ($10) with fig compote, whole grain mustard, provolone cheese and baby arugula but when our waitress mentioned they were out (before we placed our orders, grateful) I decided on The SDLT burger ($15).A massive juicy patty cooked to an ideal medium with Vermont cheddar cheese, apple wood smoked bacon and a slather of spicy aioli was all contained on a toasted brioche bun. The burger was excellent and I was in heaven with this massive pile of extra skinny, precisely seasoned rosemary pomme frites. We scrutinized the dessert menu in all its glory until spotting the Grand Dessert for two ($20) described as a sampling of our desserts “en miniature”. Each and every one of the dessert menu offerings sounded terrific so we figured why not try them all? The sampling proved a worthwhile choice with more than enough bites to satisfy everyone.As the sun moved it cast shadows through the blinds which made for some unique lighting. I did the best I could! Anyways, lets take a closer look at the adorable mini desserts. 

maple goat cheese mousse | hazelnut currant tartlet, mini meringue, port wine honey and mint syrup. 
granny smith apple bread pudding | cider gastrique and vanilla bean ice cream. orange vanilla crème brûlée | fresh kiwi fruit, blood orange and a cinnamon checkerboard cookie.
chocolate molten fondant cake | white chocolate espresso ganache and raspberry sorbet. 
chai tea panna cotta | sesame praline
These were so much fun to sample and share. I am always partial to a well made panna cotta or crème brulee, the respective chai tea and orange flavor bases were thoughtful and delicious. The rich layer cakes paired with luscious ice cream or fruity sorbet were super indulgent while the green apple bread pudding would fare well if you craved a lighter dessert. The maple goat cheese mousse was as inventive as they come, perhaps the dessert I would order if I could only pick one!
255 State Street
Boston, MA 02109

Our next stop was RumBa at The InterContinental Hotel. We cozied up in front of their roaring fireplace with fantastic cocktails. You can read about it here!

After RumBa it was off to Union Bar and Grille in the South End where they don't have a fireplace but they have some of the warmest staff on the block. It was t-10 minutes to opening time (5 pm) but the host and face behind the tweets, Justin, graciously welcomed us into the bar where the new bartender, Justin (formerly of Rocca) crafted some fancy cocktails and proved a worthy photographer. That's two Justins, four and a half cocktails, and many group photos.
Megan's French Standard ($10) with St. Germain, Lillet Blanc, lemon, vodka, and grapefruit bitters was a pleasant balance of sweet to sour, garnished with a black cherry. I ordered a Barbadillo Manhattan ($10) with rye whiskey, dry and sweet sherry, sweet vermouth and rhubarb bitters. This was a complex Manhattan with a striking appearance. The drinks were strong. Thank Goodness. The Gallows awaited.....
I will for sure be returning to Union Bar and Grille because a) their menu looked fabulous and b) I have a $25 gift certificate compliments of the BFB Launch Swag bag.

1375 Washington Street 
Boston, MA 02118

What.a.day. I wish I could incorporate Monday Funday into my weekly routine. Who's with me?

18 comments:

  1. Monday Funday needs to happen more often...and next time when I have the day off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely does look like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely go for a weekly Monday Funday! I'd even take a monthly one! This was such a fun day.. filled with such good food, drinks, and friends.

    (I look like I have 3 eyes in that picture at RumBa.. ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That duck burger looks delightful. WANT. I'm requesting a post on how you eat so decadantly and manage your weight. On the serious, this is something I'm working on and having trouble balancing. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been meaning to try SDLT's burger...looks like a fun way to spend a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of those cocktails look fabulous! Monday Fundays are definitely a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAha, amazing day- although I totally dont think I could hang with you guys- that much alcohol on a Monday! Good work : )
    I cant wait to try Union with the awesome giftcard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like such a fun day! I actually just went to the Gallows last night and was curious about Union when I past it. After your review, I'll definitely be making plans to stop in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fun bar crawl! haha. i have wanted to try sel de la terre.... the fries look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun day indeed! Sel dela Terre is one of my favorite places, but I'm always at the one in Boylston and only been to the Long Wharf location once. I love their burgers and the porchetta sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this Monday funday! so great meeting you at the Gallows! keep in touch & hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm dying over that dessert plate! I could seriously eat the whole thing myself. I'm hungry all the time now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i could definitely incorporate some monday fundays into my routine! sounds like you guys had a blastt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever I see chocolate molton cake on the menu... I GET IT!!! It's my fave!

    Happy Friday my Dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks like a really great day. i'm jealous you were off! i need to go eat lunch immediately now after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. heaven!!!! must be missing a cousin!! this place looks/tastes/smells amazing though the computer screen...seriously...please take me to these places upon our next arrival?! love you cuzzy

    ReplyDelete