Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mortons | Bubbly Tasting

Thursday evening found me gallivanting The Seaport District and Fort Point Channel neighborhoods with some lovely ladies - Jen, Megan, Bianca and Meghan. We had reservations to check out this months Morton's Tasting Series held at Morton's SteakhouseThe tastings take place on the first Thursday of the month from April - September. Each feature a different type of drink pairing with hors d'oeuvres at a price of $35 per guest inclusive of tax and gratuity. This week commenced the series with a Taste of Bubbly showcasing four different sparkling wines.In a private room off the back of the main dining room we were seated at round tables dressed in white linens and eye catching centerpieces. Floating Marigolds in vibrant orange and yellow hues were a welcome sign of spring. As guests trickled in and we awaited the start of the tasting I happily snacked from a table of fruit, crackers and cheese including favorites like Munster, Cheddar and Swiss. Of the four sparkling wines the Roederer Estate from Anderson Valley which retails for $25 a bottle was my favorite. It was crisp and elegant with a complex pear taste. It was paired with Petit Lobster Rolls made with a tarragon mayonnaise dressed in shredded lettuce on a soft bun.The second was a Louis Roederer which retails for $60 claiming to have a more mature and structured richness with a full generous texture. The taste was a little abrasive for my palate at first but I got used to it after a few sips! To quote the tasting notes this bubbly has a "fresh festive finesse." (You can't make this stuff up!) It was paired with Petit Crab cakes served with a mustard mayonnaise. Yum!The Roederer Estate Brut Rose was sweeter as a result of using 60% Pinot Noir grapes and 40% Chardonnay. It was smooth and balanced with bright fruity notes. 

The appetizer portions were definitely generous! I really enjoyed the Smoked Salmon Pizza served with capers and purple onions layered on a warm crust with dill crème fraiche. We were also served some elegant looking chicken fingers; the menu calls them Chicken Goujonettes. Piping hot and crispy fried, these were delicious.The final bubbly was a Mumm Napa Cuvet M and it was finished alongside some Chocolate Covered Strawberries. The tasting struck just the right balance of being lighthearted and fun to informative and factual. Morton's did a great job of providing a relaxed environment to socialize weaved with an insightful knowledge of the drinks at hand. If you're looking for something different to do with your girlfriends this is a great way to start out a Thursday night in the Seaport. I definitely think you get your monies worth considering all the food and drink!

2 Seaport Boulevard
Boston, MA

19 comments:

  1. So bummed I missed this. I call a redo in the months to come. Fully equipped with a trip to Drink afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! I loved Megan's drink the most of all, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to agree that Drink's ginger beer is seriously awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - this looks like so much fun. very jealous. also, there's a Morton's near my apartment and I've never heard of anything this cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a fun afternoon/evening! The food at the tasting looked yummy, and all those drinks - must have been a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to go to Drink. The menu sounds yummy and I like drinks. Win win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! I just saw that they have a mojito tasting on May 5 - sign me up! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I neeeeed to go here! I've heard so much about Drink. the cocktail you got sounds (and looks) really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been dying to go to Drink, and I love Dark and Stormys...and homemade ginger beer?! I must go there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the same taste in sparkling wine... I loved the first one best as well.

    I ended up not writing about my Drink drink, but it is my new favorite drink (and I tweeted plenty about it!). Can't go wrong with grapefruit, gin, and St. Germain!

    Definitely can't wait for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was just at Drink on Friday night! Corpse Reviver is my fave drink in Boston. I love it there...the grilled cheese is unreal too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. should you ever need a companion to attend next years Morton's Tasting Series, i am available :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. how fun! i would totally love to try new things :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, thank goodness a Monkey Gland isn't what I thought it was, haha.

    I wish I could trade taste buds with you, if only for a night! I admire your restraint with the cheese and crackers. I would've needed two plates, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks so elegant. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had a great time drinking bubbly with you last week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome array of food. The lobster roll with tarragon mayo is calling for me.

    You write so many great reviews you should look into contributing to http://www.mycitycuisine.org/wiki/Main_Page

    You could pimp all of our favorite Boston area joints. I will be doing some work with them for Miami.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bubbly tasting sounds like so much fun! Great appetizers too.

    ReplyDelete