Friday, April 29, 2011

Soy Ginger Salmon

Happy Friday! Happy Royal Wedding Day!

This recipe is inspired by the way my Mom loves to prepare Salmon. It is comforting and familiar and involves baking the mild orange fish in a ginger, soy, molasses and lime based marinade. 
On the side I have green and yellow peppers. Seasoned with salt, pepper and sautéed in a little olive oil the simple preparation compliments the range of salty, sweet and garlicky flavors in the salmon recipe I will do my best to detail from memory below. The amount of ingredients are generally proportionate to the size of the piece of fish. I had about a pound.
Ingredients
1/2 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, grated
1 lime, juiced
1 lb salmon fillet
1/2 green pepper, sliced lengthwise
1/2 yellow pepper, sliced lengthwise
1 cup jasmine or white rice

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the first six ingredients in a baking dish. Add the salmon and marinate for about 15 minutes, brushing the marinade over the piece of fish a few times to coat the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until fish is cooked through - it should flake to the touch of a fork. As the fish bakes the marinade will take on a sticky glaze like quality.Meanwhile, I sautéed my peppers and simmered a cup of jasmine rice on the stove. Salmon also works well with asparagus, green beans, or whatever crispy green vegetable you have on hand or happen to be craving. The fish and peppers are filling on their own but I'm partial to a fluffy forkful of jasmine rice, with a hint of soy sauce. The soy and teriyaki sauces mingle to form a flavorful base for the mild fish accented with sweet molasses, bright bursts of lime and potent ginger. It had been awhile since I enjoyed a nice piece of cooked Salmon (I seem to eat it in sushi or smoked form more often these days) but it used to be a staple in my weeknight meal rotations! I'm glad I thought to bring it back. Plus, it's super easy to make. What's your favorite type of fish to cook?

17 comments:

  1. I love that this dish is really simple to prep but there are lots of flavor! I love cooking tuna or salmon - the "meatier" fishes but I also do love cod and halibut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Salmon! It's really the only fish I ever make for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the peppers! I enjoy munching on green peppers but always seem to burp the taste for the rest of the day/night.

    That wasn't a very ladylike comment. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, some fluffy jasmine rice is definitely a good accompaniment

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cooking salmon, swordfish and tuna. So great on the grill, fish is such a "warm" weather meal. So happy that it's finally here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious preparation of salmon, love the ginger flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i dont particularly like fish except for salmon, this sounds like a great recipe to have handy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe sounds great a full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love salmon! There is a secret ingredient to this recipe though...Grandma's Molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like the perfect weeknight meal! I'm always impressed when people have tons of prep photos because I'm way too lazy and messy to deal with my camera in the kitchen. I always enjoy looking at them though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make this look so easy Daisy! But I am challenged when it comes to cooking chicken, meat, or fish. I think I overcook it? It usually ends up a bit touch and/or rubbery. I need to try this recipe!! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to make tilapia but lately I've been trying to come up with more creative fish dishes. This sounds like a great one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great marinade!!! I definitely cook salmon and cod more than other fishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woot!! You won the Amanda Dress...go girl!! I'll email you in the AM...have to see if I put you directly in touch w/her or grab your size, but one way or another you're gonna love that dress. It's beautiful!!

    xoxo,
    C

    ps-pass the salmon

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm a salmon girl too! :) but we've been making swordfish here lately and that's great too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks good! i don't typically cook fish at home. i should. anything with jasmine rice is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete