Monday, April 25, 2011

Cape Cod | Easter Eats

We arrived to Cape Cod and were warmly embraced by my Mom's Easter spread! She provided quite a feast to kick off the Easter celebrations starting with deviled eggs topped with half a pimento olive. Following the luscious deviled eggs was a cheese board boasting three types of cheese; Jarlsberg, Triple Cream Brie and Gruyere, as well as cherry tomatoes and crusty loaves of bread.
And some red wine, too!
A bowl of Minestrone Soup perfect for dunking in some of that hearty bread was served!
And with stars and stripes pasta to boot.
Adam and I brought dessert in the form of lobster tails and red velvet whoopie pies from Bova's Bakery. The red relvet whoopie pies are one of my favorites. Dense yet pillowy deep red cakes sandwich a rich fluffy buttercream that is out of this world. We stopped eating long enough to take in a movie at the Cape Cinema - a single theater historic venue located just off Route 6A in Dennis. It is one of the only theaters on Cape Cod where you can view independent films. Showing this evening was Win Win one of this years Sundance Film Festival movies. It ended up being a really enjoyable film that I'd recommend if Independent flicks are your thing. The movie generated a lot of laughs and struck a good balance of funny and lighthearted to meaningful and heartwarming. The Cape Cinema serves the usual concessions as well as beer and wine. I sipped a Sam Adams Noble Pils. Right next door to the theater is the newly opened Harvest Gallery Wine Bar. It is a cute spot to relax with a glass of wine or a draft beer and listen to live music. Enjoy tasty bar bites surrounded by local works of art including paintings, photography and sculptures. My Mom just so happens to hostess here and seated us at the bar where I sipped a glass of Cava ($8) and Adam and I shared the Three Meat Antipasti Plate ($17). The house cured meat offerings included prosciutto, salami and bresaola. Once my Mom was off her shift we shared a classic dessert of Creme Brulee ($8), the sweet custard was paired with a tart and fruity rhubarb compote. I paired dessert with a glass of Ruby Porto ($9). A jazz duo played well into the evening as I drank a nightcap of Stone Pale Ale, one of two choices on tap. Vacationing on Cape this summer? This place is a fantastic little addition to Dennis Village for some light food and drink in a cozy artsy atmosphere.The next morning my Mom served a hearty Easter Brunch of Strawberry and Raspberry buttermilk pancakes plus Jarlsberg cheese and pepper omelets with Applewood smoked bacon. Complete with warm blueberry compote and pure Vermont Maple Syrup, it was the perfect way to celebrate Easter morning and fuel for a long day of exploring the beaches of the lower Cape!This day on Cape coming next!

20 comments:

  1. is that star-shaped pasta in the minestrone? i love! and mmmm red velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I move to the cape and live with your mom? Looks like a wonderful weekend!! So many good eats. I love creme brulee- looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great weekend so far. I will have to work that wine bar into one of my upcoming Cape visits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love deviled eggs, but not as much as a good cheeseboard and an antipasti plate! Looks like you had a lovely Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. deviled eggs are our faves!! my mom has them down to a t and the chef scarfs 'em down in record time. it's actually kind of sick. haha!

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beach looks beautiful. I can't wait until it's warm enough to go swimming!

    The cheese looks so good. I think that's all I would've eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Cape posts. Everything looks so lovely, and I could use a bowl of that hot soup right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great weekend so far! :)

    As far as the food? Minestrone soup, cheese, bread, wine...that's totally up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely lovely! I love stuffing myself with wine and cheese at my parent's house. It's like calories don't count when you're at home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this was quite the food post, looks like you ate well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such fabulous pictures! Can I invite myself over for Easter next year, haha?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Drooling over moms spread...so sad I missed an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh gosh all those food pics have me so hungry. Your mom made quite the spread. Those Red Velvet whoopie pies look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deviled eggs, cheese, bread and wine - sounds like my kind of celebration! Glad you had a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete

  15. Your blog is amazing! Love it!♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. you had me at brie and lobster tail...those are my favorite! (not together lol)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is food love overdrive, seriously I am all sorts of jealous

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great weekend! The beach looks gorgeous, as do the pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete