Saturday, April 9, 2011

Slow Cooker | Pulled Pork

Hi guys! I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend so far. It's a wonder what 63 degrees and sunny can do for the spirit. My Friday night and Saturday day were spent dog-sitting Adam's parents Greyhound, Buddy. Buddy is a rescue dog who used to race. He's 11 years old, sheds like it's going out of style, loves long walks on the beach (actually, he much prefers the pavement over sand) and is docile as can be. I will share more on our weekend in Quincy a bit later. I still haven't had the chance to share this meal from last weekend with quite an inundation of restaurant reviews the last couple weeks, you probably think I eat out all the time! I don't though. Sometimes I go to cooking classes and sometimes I even cook for myself. If you count cooking as adding pork shoulder, chopped onion, coke-a-cola and BBQ sauce to a slow cooker and turning the dial up to "high" then yep, I've been a maverick in the kitchen. Literally, that's all it took for this recipe! Well that + 7 hours of cook time.
I got the recipe from Iowa Girl Eats. She tends to be my go-to gal for slow cooker recipes. I've definitely seen a few other blogs where this goes down and let me tell you, incredible! Here is a rough idea of what I used (listed in order of how I added it into the crock-pot):
-2 lbs. of pork shoulder
-1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce (we like Stubbs!)
-enough coke to cover the pork
- 1/2 a large onion, chopped
Stubb's knows his BBQ sauce.
I served the pork for dinner on fluffy bulky rolls with a side of beans two ways!
When's the last time you had baked beans? Or green beans from a can for that matter?
Honestly, IGE's sides looked so good I went all out and mimicked the entire meal.
For lunch the next day I added some pickles to liven up my sandwich. On the side we've got leftover beans, salt & vinegar chips and a Miller High Life. (Hey, it was a weekend lunch!) Tender, sweet, smoky and spicy, the pork definitely benefits from the juicy, salty crunch of a few pickles.
What's your favorite meal to make in a slow cooker? Recipe links appreciated!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE baked beans. I could probably eat them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made anything in my slow cooker... isn't that terrible?!

    When I first saw the pic of Adam's parents' dog, I thought, I didn't know Daisy had a dog! Such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh isn't this warmer weather SO nice?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a weird obsession with canned green beans. The pork looks great, and I can't believe how easy it is. What a sweet dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This looks great! I love slow cooker recipes like this and I've heard awesome things about Stubb's BBQ sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love the dog! And I am making slow cooked pulled pork for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pulled pork from the slow cooker. Your sandwiches look fantastic. I need to try adding pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks freaking delicious! You're making me hungry so late at night...;)!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost made some pulled pork today! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, yum, YUM! Thanks for the reminder to make this. It's the perfect warm weather food!

    That greyhound is adorable, btw. I have a soft spot in my heart for those skinny little pups! ;)

    ReplyDelete