Friday, April 27, 2012

The Gallows | South End Favorite

A spontaneous double date night brought Adam and I and our friends to The Gallows where between the four of us we made quite a dent in the cocktail (and beer) menu, I finally got to try the Scotch Egg, our entrees were top notch, and I completely fell in love with their signature dessert. It was one of those meals that kept making its way back into our conversations all weekend long (how good everything was, how much fun we had) and not unlike the last time we were there, left us eagerly anticipating our next visit. 
The waitress recommended a couple great cocktails; I let her favorites dictate my choices and started out with The Healer ($10) which is one of their original originals with rye, mead, bitters and lemon. Also pictured is the Fortune's Find ($10) made with kumquat, gin, lemon and simple syrup. I adore the cocktail names - where they spark intrigue, they also make sense when you think about it! The Healer was soothing and comforting, yet strong, and the Fortune's Find felt like just that, a real gem. 
We shared a number of snack plates beginning with the remarkable Scotch Egg ($6). It is soft boiled with a just-runny-enough yolk, cradled by a gentle layer of sausage, enveloped in a crispy fried breading. Still something of a novelty to me, this dish impressively captures the essence of breakfast in a neatly packaged bite. The Pulled Pork Corn Muffins ($6) have me convinced that all corn muffins should come stuffed with flavorful, meaty hunks of pulled pork and topped with perfectly ripe slices of avocado. The Fava and Soppressata Crostini ($6) layered thin strands of the dry Italian salami over a mash up of fava beans meets fava puree. This was an interesting pair, it didn't have me swooning quite as much as the pulled pork meets corn muffin, but it was a bite that honored the bright, springy fava bean and one worth ordering of you are a fan of either ingredient. 
The "Brontosaurus" Short Rib  is literally a bone the size of the quoted prehistoric dinosaur. Adam and Derek remark that it is difficult to cut off the bone, which isn't to say there's anything wrong with the meat, there's just a lot of it. As short ribs often imply fall off the bone, The Gallows version strays from that notion but still delivers tender, tasty meat. Both agreed it was very good. I tasted a bite which permeated with Asian flavors, a sweet and sour glaze and nuoc cham. Served alongside is a spicy green papaya salad.
My Udon Primavera ($25) comes with the plumpest, freshest, most vibrantly colored green peas, asparagus spears and fava beans, as well sharp radishes, beckoning from within slippery coils of Japanese noodles. Bathing in a deep earthy mushroom dashi, the cream of the primavera (in Italian, that means springtime!) crop of vegetables are simply radiant. The poached egg on top absolutely seals the deal.
We were stuffed, but I'm so glad we ordered dessert. Rum soaked bananas come buried among the smoothest, creamiest peanut butter and chocolate in the Bananas Foster Chocolate Peanut Butter Fluffernutter Brulee ($7). Enhancing the decadence is a perfectly torched layer of thick, gooey marshmallow fluff. My friend (who has had this before) still thinks that it needs something else, something crispy or crunchy, something to offset the creamy texture, but, I think it is just perfect. It swiftly joins the ranks as one of my favorite desserts in Boston, right up there with Oleana's Baked Alaska.
And same goes for The Gallows overall. I can't get enough of this place!

*Special thanks to Gretchen and Derek for their iPhone lighting skills. My pictures in the dark space would have been nothing without their efforts!*

1395 Washington St
Boston, MA 02118

25 comments:

  1. I've never been for a meal at Gallows, it's definitely on my list though. That udon bowl looks insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great double date night! I've got to get back to the Gallows - it's been way too long and I don't even think the Scotch eggs or the udon were on the menu. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am long overdue for a repeat visit to the Gallows. I can never tell what I like more...their cocktails or their awesome food menu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been for the burger, and it was amazing - this review reminds me why I need to go back and explore more of the menu! Looks like such a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those photos look great for iphone lighting! Thanks for joining us for a rare date night, it was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that place has definitely impressed me the few times i've been! pulled pork corn muffin with avocado? wow. that udon primavera also looks stellar :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't been to the Gallows. That scotch egg looks insanely good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like one successful meal! That brulee sounds incredible....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want it all! that egg/sausage thing looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am seriously obsessed with the Gallows. Their burger with a fried oyster is especially craveable although next time I'll be sure to get the dessert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm dying to try a Scotch Egg. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The udon primavera looks amazing! What a great night out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This meal looks so delicious! I just added the Gallows to my on-going list of restaurants to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I'd love to try those short ribs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to try the creme brulee! It looks so interesting and delicious. Gallows looks like a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm still thinking about that Scotch Egg and am wishing we ordered the pulled pork muffins, too -- they look amazing! I've just been that once, but the Gallows is definitely one of those places I could picture myself visiting every other week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What necessary words... super, a magnificent idea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would want to bathe in those noodles too....they look delicious.

    You go to the best places Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I really need to try this place. I would like that scotch egg immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i just tried the gallows for the first time in a long time as well and they are definitely on top of their game right now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ever since our brunch visit, I've been wanting to go back for dinner. Jon and I loved our brunch cocktails so I think we really need to try some other ones very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I've never been to the Gallows and your meal looks incredible! I want that pasta, pea and egg dish! Also "The Healer" is a great name for a cocktail. Surely any dessert with a five word name must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete