Wednesday, April 11, 2012

El Zorro | Vermont


As if I needed another reason to love Northern Vermont, El Zorro's opening in a mountain lodge in the cozy village of Jeffersonville (population 568) has only deepened my affections. This alpine cantina caters to the small crowd of locals and après skiers with authentic Mexican dishes featuring house made ingredients. The spicy pepper encrusted ahi tuna tacos were exceptional; the fish benefiting from a delicate sear and intense heat from the pepper crust, complemented by chipotle crema, fresh avocado, red cabbage slaw and sautéed orange fennel. Margaritas with fresh squeezed lime offer a unique take, where mint pairs unexpectedly well with tequila and is completely refreshing, and the apple cider offers the same take in seriously sweet form. Who would have thought four hours north of Boston in the middle of nowhere Vermont (nearby ski mountains include Stowe, Smugglers Notch and Jay Peak) I would eat some of the freshest, spiciest tacos alongside deliciously innovative margaritas!

El Zorro Restaurant & Cantina

87 Edwards Rd.
Jeffersonville, VT 05464

21 comments:

  1. mmm those tacos look good- love ahi tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew Vermonters did Mexican so well?! Looks like an excellent meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how often you get tuna. I just bought a mint plant and was thinking about making mojitos. Maybe I should make minted margs instead! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks gorgeous. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tuna looks gorgeous! Looks like a fun spot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those tuna tacos look fantastic! sounds like a gem of a place :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! boston should take notes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that tuna looks exceptional. Vermont really knows its food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, these look so perfect for summer. And I've been on a taco kick the last few weeks - can't get enough of them! Perfectly seared tuna sure makes a delicious looking filling :)
    PS - I <3 VT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 568!
    I like a good spicy taco! Haven't found a good place in Boston, yet. Any recos?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos...I SO want to visit Vermont one day (and not just for the food)!! I'm envious of your proximity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything you ate and drank here looks beautiful! I also love Vermont. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos as always! The tacos look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi just wanted to say that I like your article very much. Please keep up the good posts Thanks a ton! and Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, we go to Jay Peak several times per winter, so I will have to scope this place out. That margarita looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete