Thursday, April 12, 2012

Russell House Tavern

The night before Pigalle there was Russell House Tavern. My Dad happened to be out and about in Harvard Square and invited my sister and I to dinner, letting us choose the place. Separately we each suggested Russell House, which is no surprise considering they are consistently excellent; we both knew the cocktails and food would serve to impress. Plus, the lively yet casual environment would aptly fit the impromptu mood. The fact that it happened to be restaurant week was an added bonus, and of course, we all had to participate after we were seated and gave the menu a run down. Leah and Dad ordered the same of each course. You can't go wrong with the RHT raw bar and as far as their entree goes, they remarked over again how fresh and well prepared the bass was. I thought their dessert was better than mine, and so did they.
1. RHT Raw Bar Sampler | 2 Duxbury Count Neck clams, 2 local oysters, 2 jumbo shrimp
2. Grilled Striped Sea Bass | escarole, borlotti beans, anchovy roasted carrots
3. Lemon Cheesecake | lavender honey

As for my meal, this was my first time eating lamb tartare! I will likely compare future lamb tartares to Chef Scelfo's intriguing and delicious preparation. My braised oxtails were incomparable as well, perhaps one of the best entrees I've had in recent memory. Every ingredient was complimentary and flawless. Dessert didn't blow my mind perhaps because the appetizer and entrée were a very tough act to follow. I had high expectations and the berry mousse didn't quite live up.1. American Lamb Tartar | anise cracker, orange & fennel, juniper honey
2. Sassafras Braised Archer Farms Oxtails | caraway spätzle roasted apples, spicy glazed onions
3. Berry Mousse | chocolate sauce

Russell House is a shining example of why I get excited for Restaurant Week. They continue to remain a reason alone to visit Harvard Square. Many thanks for treating us to dinner, Dad!

14 John F. Kennedy St.
Cambridge, MA 02138

20 comments:

  1. I always see that place in Harvard Square and it looks good from the outside but never am "quite sure" - glad to hear your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog posts make me wish that I had participated in RW this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fantastic meal - lamb tartare sounds delicious! I am a huge fan of Russell House Tavern, definitely a reason to cross the river

    ReplyDelete
  4. That lamb tartare looks awesome. I need to get to Russell House!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been once and was definitely impressed... can't wait to get back there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had lamb tartare either! Maybe if it's still on the regular menu, I can try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would have ordered the exact same things you did! braised meats and fruity desserts for the win.

    i've noticed RHT has stepped up its game recently with new menu items

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Russell House Tavern. They always have a good draft beer selection, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Russell House Tavern. They always have a good draft beer selection, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks perfectly prepared. Your oxtails were clearly beyond tender. I've read nothing but praise for RHT, yet I've never been!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my goodness, you and your family are some adventurous eaters! I think the lamb tartare may be a little out there for me but the oxtails look like beef so I would be totally down for trying that. I'll have to look for it when I go out to dinner (although most of the restaurants by us tend to be of the burger variety)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm drooling over your meal! I love that Russell House Tavern embraced the spirit of Restaurant Week and was adventurous and creative with their offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want some of that spaetzel. RHT never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I say this on every RHT blog post, I shockingly still have never been. It's top 3 places that I'm going to go next.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The braised oxtails look incredible!! What a nice night out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy, I haven't been to Russell House in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun meal for you . I have to admit I tend to be less adventurous when it comes to lamb....

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I first went to Russell House, I wasn't sure how I'd do as a vegetarian, but I must admit, everything I ordered was fantastic. Glad you and the family had such a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As the dad from the cape I'm amazed no one commented on the seabass it was truly outstanding .as a visitor to the two fine cities when I asked the girls where they wanted to go RHT was there unanimous choice

    ReplyDelete