Saturday, July 24, 2010

OSushi

The other day I got an email with the following information. I usually ignore these monthly statements, however, check the date in bold below. US Airways Dividend Miles E-Statement:
Member since: 2008
Last activity date: 03/27/2009
Beginning balance:10,973
Miles deposited:0
Ending balance: 10,973
To keep your account active, earn miles before 09/29/2010.
_________________________________________________
Dear US Airways,
If your flights weren't so damn expensive all the time, I would fly with you more frequently and therefore earn frequent flier miles. Now you are threatening to take away my hard earned Las Vegas and San Francisco miles? How is that fair? It's like encouraging me to never fly with you again.
Sincerely,
Daisy

All jokes aside. I'm in dire need to keep my account active. Luckily I am a member of US Airways Dividend Miles Dining Program. There are actually a lot of restaurants in the area that I can dine at to redeem miles. They even have a special going on this month: "Change of Scenery Bonus: Spend $30 at a restaurant, bar, or club where you've never earned miles before and become 500 miles richer."

I purchased a $30 Groupon t0 OSushi some weeks ago, which just so happens to be on the Dividend Miles Dining list. This means I need to "spend" $60 on lunch! $30 to cover the Groupon, and the other $30 on my credit card so I can become 500 miles richer, ensuring I don't loose the hard earned 10k in the bank.
OSushi is located at 10 Huntington Avenue, inside the Westin Hotel, Copley Plaza.
I was greeted right away by the woman who would end up being my waitress. She sat me in the corner next to the sake case and presented me with both a drink and lunch menu.
History: I have been to OSushi before. Twice in fact, both times for dinner. The first time when My Mom, sister, Aunt Cheryl and cousin Cayla were visiting in the summer of 2005. Fun fact: I didn't technically move to Boston until 2006, however that summer I lived 4 days out of the week in Allston because I was completing an internship at what is presently the company I work for. The other 3 days of the week were spent on Cape Cod. Gosh, that was an awesome summer. I digress. The second time was a date night way back when Adam and I first got together. As a result of these two outings, I am a big fan of their sushi.

I guess it has a lot to live up to today! They have an extensive wine list by the bottle and a fun martini menu too, which I debated over. In the end I chose to start my afternoon with a carafe of cold Nigori Sake.
It drank light and smooth with subtle hints of juicy pear and apple. I appreciated the waitress letting me know upfront that my Groupon did not cover alcoholic beverages, even thought it made no difference in this situation. 
Originally, I was not going to indulge in a bowl of Miso Soup ($3), but it was quite chilly in the restaurant. Not uncomfortably so, but the perfect temperature to sip on a warm bowl of soup indeed. If you're a longtime reader you know I evaluate all Japanese restaurants first on the quality of their Miso.  Piping hot, full of salty soybean flavor and plenty of scallions, thick strips of seaweed and tofu chunks, Osushi does a great job on this staple starter. They even add baby mushrooms to the mix earning them extra credit.
Large floor to ceiling, wall to wall windows provide the only natural light, looking down from the second story over Dartmouth Street. Come dinner time, the restaurant is almost completely dark, which makes for a romantic setting, especially when nestled in those high suede booths. 

Lunch.is.served. 

The Tako ($4), a smooth, glistening slice of fresh, clean tasting octopus sits fastened by a belt of nori atop a block of compact sushi rice. 

In stark contrast to the Tako, I couldn't pass up a longstanding favorite in the form of another Unagi ($6). It is delicate as opposed to firm, soft as opposed to chewy, sweet and melt in your mouth.
I savored the sushi in between bites of my almost-too-pretty-to-eat lunch rolls.

The Hamachi Hako ($12) is yellowtail, garlic, scallions, shiso, topped with daikon and jalapeno served on top of pressed rice. Pealry pink and super smooth yellowtail tops a block of sticky rice where the strong flavors of garlic and jalapeno give off just the right touch of heat.

You better believe I was feeling pretty full right around now:
Don't worry, I ate it all, even though this was easily a lunch for two. So was that never ending carafe of sake. It's fine. I enjoy and am completely OK with getting buzzed by myself at 1:30 on a weekday. It's good for me.
But alas, the roll that's been hiding behind the likes of all the others. The roll that gave me my obligatory avocado fix. The TNT Maki ($8.5) is baked spicy salmon, avocado and cucumber served atop a homemade hot sesame oil. This roll kicked things up a notch. The spice was powerful, the salmon was soft and warm, the avocado, cucumber and even those beautiful stalks of lettuce added cool contrasting elements. And once again, the detail with the sesame oil and those crunchy black sesame seeds added another layer by which to impress.
Speaking of impress, OSushi, once again, did just that!
Osushi on Urbanspoon
Do you have a favorite Sushi restaurant in Boston?

12 comments:

Chelsea said...

This restaurant looks fabulous! You can always tell the quality of a sushi restaurant by the presentation of the plates. ;) I love the sounds of the TNT maki. Salmon and avocado are two of my favourite sushi ingredients!

Megan said...

Everything looks fabulous! If you need a sushi date next time, let me know.

I like Spice and Rice but probably more out of convenience than actually really knowing much about sushi.

dmcgirl said...

I have not seen the Copley in YEARS. I have been there a few times, when I come to Boston, I visit there and BackBay! Wow! Nice... Looks awesome!!! I love the old world feel to the other bar there, I don't know the name, but it feels very Old Money! Nice!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Awesome. Some great photos of some beautiful sushi. What a lovely platter of art. I wish I could take photos in restaurants...I just can't.

By the way, LOVE the shades. You wear them well!

freckleonthenose said...

I officially love your blog. And your blog title. And I officially dislike US Airways on your behalf. So lame that they would take away your miles just not flying with them recently.

MelissaNibbles said...

Oh god. I want to eat there so bad, but never get a chance when I'm in the city. I want the eel!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I went to Osushi this past year for the first time in over five years and it was still just as good as I remembered it! I really think it is a completely underrated sushi joint!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear said...

Dining points? that's awesome! flying is so much more expensive than eating out :D

Your sushi looks... mouthwatering. I'm in a serious need of sushi again!

Cute shades!

shari @ little blue deer said...

I am obsessed with unagi and anago, my very favorite sushi! Lucky you, lady, looks like a great lunch! Hey, do you want to be friends on FB? If so, friend me, Shari Knight Miller. XO!

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

I love sushi. I really love wasabi! =)S

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I actually like eating by myself sometimes. I can also easily finish off enough sushi for 2 people ;) My favorite sushi places are Fugakyu, Haru & Mr. Sushi.

Corinne said...

ooo the TNT roll looks fabulous! what a lovely lunch. so i assume that your account w/ united will remain active? thank ya jesus for expensive sushi lunches!