Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Steely Dan | The Wang Theater

It was a gorgeous night for a concert in the city.

Adam and I walked over to The Wang Theater / Citi Center for the Performing Arts where we met my Dad, his girlfriend Lisa, and their friend Peter. The Wang Theater is an incredible venue with a stunning regal interior. 
My parents have been Steely Dan fans and concert goers since The Comcast Center was Great Woods and the New York Rock and Soul Revue toured in '92. I am sure many of you can relate - the tunes that echoed throughout your childhood (or blared loudly through the speakers) are by default your favorites today. You grow to appreciate and are comforted by the familiarity of the music and lyrics. For me that's American rock band Steely Dan. They offer a blend of rock, jazz, funk and rhythm and blues with a wide range of eccentric lyrics. 
[A brief history of the band: Steely Dan - co-founded by duo Donald Fagen & Walter Becker rose to popularity in the 1970's, disbanded and remained void from the music world in the 80's, reunited in the early 90's and have been recording albums - their last album was recorded in 2003 - and touring ever since.] 
It has become tradition as of the past few summers that when Steely Dan is in town either my Dad or I will buy tickets. The tradition actually began when he was driving me from Cape Cod to Boston on the night they just so happened to be playing at the Tweeter Center in 2006 on the Steelyard "Sugartooth" McDan and The Fab-Originees.com Tour. On a complete whim we scalped tickets in the parking lot and the rest is history.
We saw multi-night concerts at The Wang last summer on the Rent Party Tour 2009 which was focused around special setlist shows. The band would play a classic album in its entirety plus selected favorites. They performed Aja (1977) the first night and Gaucho (1980) the second. As a result, I discovered even more to love about the band. I forever listen to these albums on repeat!
This summer the tour isn't officially Steely Dan but the combination of Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs. Michael McDonald began his career with Steely Dan before he became a member of the Doobie Brothers and had a successful solo career. You know his jams: "What a Fool Believes" and "I Keep Forgettin" are pretty memorable (and yes he performed both tonight!) Boz Scaggs, I'll be honest with ya, I don't know too much about the man. But he fits right in on stage with the other two favorites.
Officially touring as The Dukes of September Rhythm Revue the three vocalists performed together on stage in similar fashion to how Steely Dan executes a performance - lead guitar and piano solos, harmonies blended with a medley of vocalists and instrumentalists, various saxophone and horn players and a drummer.
I took two pictures before a large important looking man walked over and reminded me no photographs allowed. I realize it said no cameras on the ticket but I took that to mean no video recordings or streaming allowed. Oh well!  A sign to live in the moment! We all had a blast.
I sipped vodka-tonic-splashes of cranberry juice. Highlights of the show included one of my all time favorites "Reelin in the Years" and in an encore performance a cover of The Beach Boys "Help Me Rhonda" with McDonald on the ukulele. 

Afterwards we met up with more friends who were at the show in different seats. We had drinks at a favorite Theater District spot Intermission Tavern. It was a late week night. Feelin' it this mornin. But not too bad. Off to grab coffee....

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great show. What a gorgeous venue as well.

    Glad you were able to spend some quality time with family.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughh I hate when large important looking men tell me I shouldn't take pictures or be doing something I want to do! ha! Holy flashback "Reelin in the Years" reminds me of you and college :) :)

    hahahaha help me Rhonda...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such a blast! I love your tradition with your dad. Sorry about the pics though :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wang is so pretty! I love going to shows... I actually haven't been in a while. I hope to snag tix to Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time - beautiful theater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the pics that you did get look great! That building looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That opening photo is amazing!

    Love the venue too - so pretty.

    Late weeknights are awful, aren't they?! Hope caffeine can help you get through the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh fun! the wang theatre is so pretty. when i was little my grandmother would take me there to see ballets. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see !!, Your writting could change the world that you want. Express your thoughts!!. Politics , Business , Entertainment , Sports & Games , Life & Events ,and Health what else?. Meet your like minded here. The top social gathering in one place all the top notches meet here. It is not about win the race, participation is all matters. We proud inviting you to the the internet's best Social community. www.jeejix.com .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg they played reelin in the years! I should have been there for that...AND help me Rhonda wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you're right, just look at that theatre!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your dad are soooo cute!! And once again - I wish I lived in Boston ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I buy the first photo framed? Loved the pics, looks like you had a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HELLLLS YEAH! I am a HUGE Steely Dan fan, one of my all time favorite bands (just one more thing we have in common, right, Daisy?!). So jealous, bet it was the most amazing night, that's a fab lineup! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy, you look just like your dad!! Good looks must be in the genes. :-)

    Happy Thursday Dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great show and place to go watch one! glad you had a happy evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like soo much fun!! I absolutely LOVE the Wang Center. I grew up going to the ballet there and recently saw Michael Buble there :) Amazing!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome night! Sounds like a great time. =)

    ReplyDelete