Wednesday, October 17, 2012

City Landing

City Landing opened quietly in July, filling a prime location on the Greenway overlooking the Wharf District parks. It takes over where the original and well liked Sel de la Terre left off after nearly 12 years. 
There was definitely room for a new type of energy on Long Wharf and the re-design embraces that with wide light filled windows, green fabric booths and matching lime colored placemats. Handsome contemporary stone work inlaid with pretty blue tiles frame the dining room with contrasting chocolate brown tables.
My mom, sister and I had  just returned from hiking Spectacle Island and were looking to relax, this was the perfect spot to do so. After the host greeted us warmly we settled comfortably into our table and proceeded to study the wine and cocktail list. I settled first on a Pineapple Jalapeno Caipirinha ($13) it was one of the more exciting versions of a caipirinha I've had, the sweet and spicy livening up the traditional lime and mint.
The wines are grouped progressively - light, medium and full bodied, with a range of selections. Glasses are offered in 6 and 9 ounces, accompanied by a sleek carafe. Later in the meal I chose a 9 oz pour of the Domane Wachau, Gruner Veltliner ($15) a versatile and food friendly wine with a medium body and crisp acidity.
We were pretty excited upon placing our appetizer order for the Trio of Spreads ($12) consisting of truffle herb goat cheese (say no more), white bean roasted garlic and artichoke tapenade. The pitas were served warm and the super flavorful spreads come in adorable ceramic pots; the meal was off to a terrific start. 
The dreary and drizzling weather lent ideal conditions to linger over a bowl of soup. Or two. I was excited to see that they offered a Soup Sampler Duo ($9)!
If your craving a cup of Boston Clam Chowder, chef-owner Bill Brodsky's version is expertly seasoned, briny and creamy, with a nice thick broth and perfectly cooked morsels of potato. The crispy clam on top adds a special touch. It's no surprise this chef has mastered the art of clam chowder, he comes here after spending over a decade at Cape Cod's Wequassett Resort
It seems he's no slouch either when it comes to the ultimate bowl of comfort, Tomato Soup. To be precise, this is a Yellow Tomato Bisque and it's bursting with sweet, ripe, juicy tomato scents and flavors, heightened by swirls of chive oil and a flaky cheddar twist on the side. 
I tried my Mom's entrĂ©e sized Caesar Salad with Grilled Salmon ($23) it was robust with white anchovy, chopped hard boiled egg, capers, garlic croutons and parmesan. My sisters Crispy Chicken Sandwich ($13) was yet another solid offering, it came with lettuce, onion, tomato, bacon, Swiss cheese and a lovely basil mayonnaise.

Our impressive food was matched with kind natured front-of-the-house staff, our waiter was attentive without being overbearing and the manager offers warm smiles as he moves about about the dining room, taking note of newcomers and making sure to thank us as we left. So far, City Landing proves to be a great fit.

City Landing | Long Wharf
255 State Street
Boston, MA 02109

20 comments:

  1. I love City Landing. I really can not wait to return after our first experience, which was fantastic. I need to try the chowder next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love my experience at City landing, glad it hasn't changed! Looking forward to heading back there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, that yellow tomato bisque! especially with the cooler temps these days, that sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the food looks good! i didnt realize sel de la terre had left

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want some yellow tomato bisque! I'll have to check out City Landing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect afternoon! I have only heard good things about City Landing, can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great meal! I'll have to check this place out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How could you go with Boston Clam Chowder when the New England style is so much better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely sounds worth a visit. I love the idea of a soup duo because I'm so indecisive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that trio of spreads sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh that trio of spreads sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What sort of camera is this? That is a really good top quality.

    more info
    my page - browse

    ReplyDelete
  13. The soup duo looks amazing! I definitely need to check that out! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truffle herb goat cheese and a soup duo?! That's awesome. Must go here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The trio of spreads looks amazing! And I'm totally intrigued by the flavor combination of pineapple and jalapeno!

    Hope you're having a great girls trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went here for a birthday dinner and, while I was really into the tomato bisque, we didn't have the greatest experience. I found the food to be really greasy and the our waitress was pretty rude. Then a room divider fell on Christopher's head during our meal :) Anyway, sounds like lunch might be a smoother ride here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ive heard mixed reviews, but this looks impressive! looks like i have to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely times with my daughters - it was a perfect day! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We really did have almost all the same dishes! So delicious!

    ReplyDelete