Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Towne Stove & Spirits

Since the highly anticipated opening in late July of 2010 Towne fast became a Back Bay hot spot, their kitchen producing a variety of globally inspired dishes that saw praise and criticism alike. I had heard plenty about the collaboration between the Lyons Group and duo of high caliber chefs that have long shaped the dining scene in Boston, Lydia Shire and Jasper White, to know this trendy venue was a must visit at some point in time. Even though that some point is a just shy of a year later and I was only stopping by for lunch on the patio, it is easy to see why this exuberant two story space housing multiple bars and dining rooms is so popular.The patio situated in the courtyard directly underneath the Prudential Center on Boylston Street is a uniform expanse of heavy woven iron tables and chairs dotted with bright orange Aperol umbrellas. Green shrubs line the perimeter backed by brown rattan banquet seating.  Only a few patrons were enjoying the outdoor space with a few more noted indoors, it was a quiet weekday afternoon. As I browsed the spirits menu and nothing particular caught my eye, I realized it was because I was craving a beer. I ordered the Notch Session Pils ($6) from Notch Session Brewing Co. in Ipswich, MA. My waiter explained this beer is lower in alcohol content because it is meant to be consumed in "sessions" or in other words, one after another. Sounds good to me, even thought I only planed on drinking one. The brightly colored laminated menu depicted the day-of-the-week specials and three divided sections: "soup+more", "garden+more" and "farm+sea". Seafood options are $$$ with a Lobster Cobb salad set at $21, the Tuna Nicoise for $19 and the Crab Cake a whopping $19 as well. Perhaps they were worth it, but I wasn't in the mood to find out. The Deluxe 8 oz. All American Bacon Burger 70/30 ($16) took on a lengthy title and a little more appeal with a lower price point. Just like that, my burger craving took hold. The thick patty is a ground skirt (70%) and short rib (30%) combo and the menu recommends you order it rare. I intended to go with my typical medium rare but figured why not have it as the chefs intended. They didn't steer me wrong. The burger was intensely juicy and well seasoned; the melted cheddar cheese was evenly proportioned and crisscrossed slices of bacon draping over the edges were delicately greasy and lightly crisped. The presentation with a rainbow of colors in effect offered toppings including red onion and a ripe avocado half. The toasted bun was warm and buttery with poppy seeds speckled in its crevices. The sweet pepper relish elevated the burger with a dollop of sweetness.The pile of french fries is massive and you will be happy to know these thin cut gems are everything you want them to be. The sprawling patio set just a few hundred feet back from the hustle and bustle of Boylston under a towering Prudential Center was an extremely peaceful location during this hour. The first July lunch was definitely a happy success. Way to go, Towne!
900 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 

19 comments:

  1. I love that they give you tons of avocado! I've TRIED to go to Towne but it's always been packed on weekend nights. Maybe I should for lunch on a weekday instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Towne! I haven't been there for lunch though, but I do go there often for dinner and drinks. My Saturday nights are usually here or at Woodward, both are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Towne - the food their has been so good! The sweet relish on the burger was a bit too much for me (but then again, I am not a relish girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 21 bucks for lobster cobb? My goodness! Glad the burgers and fries were satisfying to the palette and easier on the pocket!!! I'd go anywhere for good fries. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burger looks intense! I love that lovely avocado it's served with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i've walked by a thousand times, will need to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i thought towne was great, but super overpriced. i think this looks like a fab lunch experience, though! that burger is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When a place adds a new spin to a classic favorite and does it well, you know you've got a keeper.

    I've heard mixed reviews on Towne, so I'm dying to try and decide for myself. That burger DOES look mighty delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That burger sounds incredible! I'd love to get back there at lunch time to try it. I didn't have the best experience at Towne, but I only went once for brunch... so I'm willing to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had the best experiences eating at Towne but I'm glad that you got a chance to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live and work in the hood and still haven't been because I've actually heard pretty bad reviews from both friends and online... but your experience sounds so much better! Perhaps a trip there this summer is going to happen after all :) [It's on my 30 by 30 restaurants list but I was still hesitant until now.]

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to go to Towne. The burger with all that avocado looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the burger does look good but rare scares me...i am a medium rare girl hardcore

    ReplyDelete
  14. never been there but it certainly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wanting to go to Towne for awhile now and I think this review makes me want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm craving a burger now! I need to check this place out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad you had a good lunch. I did not enjoy Towne. I found it really unfocused and chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't even eat meat and that burger looked amazing! I haven't been yet, but this post makes me want to schedule a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never been to towne, but your burger looks great!!
    Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete