Thursday, July 28, 2011

whale watching

This whale watch was not your standard vessel fleet launching from the tourist ridden harbor docks. There was no time slotted tour where advanced purchase of tickets were required. This was a Saturday morning adventure with friends seeking a glimpse of the oceans largest mammals. We set out from an eerily calm inlet off the backside of Nauset Beach. It was low tide but luckily not too low to venture through the sandbar ridden channel. The inlet here stretches between the towns of Orleans and Eastham and leads out into the vast Atlantic Ocean.Only - we did not have to venture very far into its vastness to spot a pod of Humpback Whales (we estimated about 12 - 14 different individual whales) who were swimming just off shore.Seeing these mammals in person is completely breathtaking. One of those times where the camera (and all my cropping and zooming) can't even begin to do the experience justice. The whales came really close to us, I am talking a tiny stones throw close. Did I mention we are on a 23 foot recreational motorboat? It was kind of an adrenaline rush? You never knew just where they were going to pop up next to you! I was so glad they decided to share their morning with us. Thank you, beautiful Humpback Whales :)

19 comments:

  1. Amazing! Though I have to say I might be terrified if whales got that close to our boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures look great. I've been on three whale watches and never seen a whale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool - your pictures are awesome! I've been on whale watches with NO WHALES so this one seems pretty successful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - those shots are amazing! The boat may not have been big, but on that type you really are at the whale's level, so cool! I am sure a bit scary as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool! I would love to see a whale. I've only been to the cape once believe it or not. I would love to see it in the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are gorgeous! I've always wanted to take my sister whale watching because she's petrified of whales...I think this would get her over her fear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pics! Is that with the new camera you mentioned a few weeks ago? I used to love whales watches when I was little, and was always lucky to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been an incredible experience. I rarely see whales when I go out on a whale watch let alone when I'm just going out on a boat for other reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've never been on a whale watch and would love to go! You were so close and what a gorg day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that must have been an amazing experience. Those animals are just gorgeous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So gorgeous! I haven't been to Cape Cod yet but it reminds me a lot of the small beachy city I grew up in here in Los Angeles.

    What an amazing experience Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! those are some great photos! Looks like the perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great experience and cool photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO COOL!!! I need to get one of my friends with a boat to re-create this journey haha...that would be amazing!!

    Great to see you this morning/afternoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous pics, I'm impressed with your photo skills and I can't believe how close you got!

    ReplyDelete
  16. stunning! i wish i could have been there - so cool!

    ReplyDelete