Thursday, July 7, 2011

Watermelon Jalapeño Margarita

I have been creating everything from margaritas to martinis to the classic watermelon feta salad with this sweet juicy summertime melon!
I even dropped a watermelon cube in a glass of Prosecco which naturally deserved an instagram shot and sparked lots of interest on Twitter. Just a little flare to sweeten the bubbly!
I made a gigantic batch of Watermelon Jalapeno Margaritas for the Fourth of July boating excursion and they were a huge hit! Prior to preparing a full fledged beach worthy batch I did some taste testing and made a smaller version of one for myself - straight up martini style because my zig zag martini glasses make for a fun presentation.
Since I am pretty sure you'll want an entire pitcher on hand, the recipe for the crowd sized version is as follows:
Watermelon Jalapeno Margaritas
-1/2 a watermelon - roughly chopped into small pieces
- 12 limes
- 2 jalapenos - seeds removed and diced
- 2 cups tequila
- 1 cup triple sec
1) Add the watermelon, the juice of 12 limes and the jalapenos to a blender. If your blender is not large enough, work to puree in batches.
2) Strain the mixture into a pitcher through a fine sieve to avoid any excess watermelon or jalapeno seeds.
3) Stir in Tequila and Triple Sec
4) Serve over ice and garnish with a watermelon and jalapeno slice. (my martini glass has none, but over ice is definitely the best way to serve it).If you are only preparing one or two drinks you can skip the blender and instead muddle and pour the ingredients directly into a shaker. Cheers!
~~~
For our 4th of July dinner I paired a juicy Watermelon Feta Salad with scallops wrapped in bacon and roasted broccoli.My friend Gretchen made this salad last Labor Day Weekend (it also goes great with corn on the cob and lobster.)
Watermelon Feta Salad
-1/2 a watermelon, seeded & cubed
-3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
-1/4 cup sliced basil
-2 tsp olive oil
-1 tsp balsamic vinegar
-salt and pepper to taste
1) Toss the watermelon + feta in a large bowl.
2) Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper
3) Pour over salad and toss. 
4) Top with fresh basil or mint. Serve immediately.
Watermelon and Feta make quite a pair; this salad is a crowd pleaser not to mention a super satisfying and refreshing accompaniment to a summer meal. An endless summer of watermelon treats coming right up! 

26 comments:

  1. I love watermelon martinis and margaritas, but not a fan of watermelon on it's own. Weird right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny that you posted this today because just yesterday I bought my first watermelon of the season! I've been devouring it in chunks so far. I do love watermelon and feta though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That marg-tini is genius. GENIUS.

    Will be drinking THAT this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This drink looks delicious and so perfect for summer. If it wasn't 10:30 in the morning I would make one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. man, i'm on watermelon 4 or 5, it's getting a little rediculous but i can't help it :) watermelon feta is definitely good, but i also like a watermelon goat cheese salad... and i've been meaning to grill it! and yes, watermelon soda is SO refreshing. i'm thinking it should be permanently stocked in my fridge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watermelon and prosecco sounds perfect. I love watermelon too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, the flavor here must be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always love the watermelon/feta pairing - but never thought about it with jalapeno. Awesome cocktail!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those margaritas are SUCH a pretty color! And I obviously love the idea of adding jalapenos in :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the salad...so perfect for summer!

    Another fabulous thing to do is to skewer watermelon, fresh mozzarella slices, and basil. It is super easy and a great appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to put in a request for a spiceless version! :)

    And the watermelon feta salad looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont actually like to eat watermelon but I do love it in drinks. Have you ever had watermelon jello shots, yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. both the salad and martini sound soo good! i am impressed you made your own martini like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, those cocktails look super yummy!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those cocktails look AWESOME and super creative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay truth... I always thought the combo of watermelon and feta sounded weird ever since hot sam went home for it on top chef. But looking at your pictures makes me want to try it. Honestly I read this post on the train this AM and I've been thinking about the watermelon salad and those AMAZING cocktails all day. They are definitely both going on my MUST make list for the weekend. Two jalapenos?? Seeded not seeded? Was it insanely spicy? I'm excited to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Watermelon jalapeno margaritas sound SO good! Make me one/a pitcher mmmmk?

    The salad looks delish too but I have a weird aversion to the texture of watermelon... I keep trying to like it but it tickles my tongue (so weird I know). I like the taste of watermelon though so MAKE ME SOME RITAS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummm! Love the pic of the pink martini glass with jalapeno ring in it! Reminds me of one of the cocktails I had at Aragosta. I'll definitely be trying these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need that margarita--STAT.

    And girl my all time fave salad is heirloom tomatoes, watermelon, red onions, gorgonzola or feta in a light balsamic vinaigrette. Cannot wait to whip that mother up!

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm only hours, days or weeks away from trying one of those phenomenal looking watermelon margaritas!!! Do you think it would be frowned upon to have one delivered to the hospital? LOL (just kidding)

    I bet they'd be really great on a hot summer day. Oh good, you finally had the salad. I remember you telling me last year you wanted to try it. Maybe this wasn't your first time having it. How'd you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've been all about watermelon as well and also like putting chunks in as "ice cubes"! Your margaritas look amazing - bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, you have definitely just taken my favorite fruit to a whole new level - I love these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i discovered watermelon and feta last summer and it rocked my world. looks like this summer's combo is watermelon and jalepeno, i have to try that!

    speaking of adding jalepenos to drinks - el centro puts them in their sangria, and it is simply divine!

    happy summer :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Watermelon cubes are great, even in water!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i pretty much want everything in this post right now.

    ReplyDelete