Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Marliave

This Fridays lunch brought me to The Marliave nestled in the heart of Downtown Crossing.The restaurant building itself is over 135 years old and was first home to a restaurant opened by French Immigrant Henry Marliave in 1885. During prohibition it served as a speakeasy.
Currently it has been open for almost three years now; housing a lively bar paying homage to the speakeasy era with cracked mosaic floors and pressed tin walls. The top level where we were seated for lunch is home to a refined dining room that keeps in line with the elegant black and white color scheme. Last time I was here I pulled up a seat at their crowded bar and enjoyed a couple of the noteworthy cocktails. Friday was Adam's birthday and I was treating him to a spontaneous late birthday lunch!Their large laminated menu offers us a plethora of libations. I tried the Yellow Journalism ($10) with Clear Creak Pear Eau-De-Vie, Licor 43, Mionetto Prosecco and lemon. Adam approved of his Warren G. Harding ($10) with Old Overholt Rye, lemon and mint A simple plate of olive oil with green olives and some slices of soft bread were delivered shortly after we placed our order and inhaled just as quickly. We started the meal each with a piping hot bowl of Henry's Soup ($10). It came served in a deep white china bowl resembling a mini cauldron plated over a charming white doyle. The French Onion soup is loaded with sweet caramelized onions, a hearty crouton and thick melted Gruyere cheese. Most notably, tender bites of short ribs lace the broth taking a classic soup and elevating it to something even more incredible. This soup was outstanding. Tthe perfect first course to warm up with on a dreary and annoyingly cold and windy Friday afternoon. For his main course Adam ordered the Mussels ($12) farm raised, roasted tomatoes, garlic and parsley. He definitely enjoyed his birthday lunch, minus the roasted tomatoes! (I'll give him credit for trying one, but tomatoes are still something he can't seem to enjoy.) I ordered the salad simply labeled Beets ($12) which paired finely diced roasted beets with goat cheese, arugula, black olives and candied walnuts. A paper thin crosini balanced a top the compact beets which were plated to resembled that of a typical looking tartare. Fun, polished and creative! The creamy and tangy goat cheese and the sweet crunchy walnuts added some great texture and helped balance out the strong presence of the beets.Our waitress was pleasant and the kitchen timed our courses perfectly.
Marliave is a gem of an establishment where the DTX/Financial District crowd can enjoy a leisurely lunch or some after work cocktails; I'm almost positive the working professionals in the area would agree. But even if you don't work in the vicinity, Marliave is likely worth venturing downtown for. Get the French Onion Soup for sure!

10 Bosworth Street
Boston, MA 02108

20 comments:

  1. That soup is amazing. I definitely don't go to the financial district enough - this place looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks fabulous! What a great birthday lunch for Adam. Wish him happy belated birthday for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay lunch series! :) That beet salad looks so pretty, but I totally feel you on being disappointed by an uneven balance of the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool! i always walk by that place and wonder what the deal is! beautiful presentation with the beets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went there for brunch and had a great meal - I loved the dishes, like the one your soup came in...Your post reminds me I need to do a return trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Marliave! It's so funny - Ryan and I got the exact same drinks when we went. Great minds, and all :)

    That French onion soup looks amazing. Will definitely need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i went her for restaurant week last year...i LOVED it. The food was so good and they had their entire menu on the rest. week list, which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soups looks to die for!! But hmmmm... did I miss the dessert?? ;-) You always tell us about the dessert you had!!

    Happy Tuesday Dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to visit Marliave! I want that yellow journalism drink...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore finding places like this ... the food looks great but what really gets me is the story and history this place holds ... amazing! :)

    ♥ Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Adam! Even though you weren't blown away, I'm glad to read you got to experience the food and what Marliave has to offer. The soup does look delicious (even though I don't eat meat). =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that soup is calling my name...oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks fantastic! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did they recently change their drink menu? I got a really good aviation (aptly name The Amelia Earhart) last time I was there but I don't think it's on the menu any more. Either way, definitely one of my favorite spots! Will definitely have to try that soup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when a restaurant has a good drinks and equally good food. It makes picking a place for dinner that much easier. Shame about the beets though, hopefully they will take note :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh, I am drooling over that soup!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Marliave was one of my favorite lunch spots when I used to work around the corner. Happy belated birthday Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  18. French onion soup with short ribs? Interesting idea. It must add some depth of flavor.

    Fair and balanced write up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i can't get past that soup :) yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. French onion soup with shortribs floating in the broth? I have to file that away -- gonna have to try it myself :)

    I love your restaurant reviews. I feel like you cover every detail I would want to know about a place before dining there....
    miss you xoxo

    ReplyDelete