Sunday, December 5, 2010

Buon Natale

Boun Natale is Italian for Merry Christmas. It is also the name given to the North End Holiday Stroll which takes place on the first Friday of December from 7 pm to 11 pm. This year marked the fourth annual - providing shoppers the opportunity to take advantage of significant sales and one-night-only discounts at local businesses. Additionally, shops show their hospitality by offering light refreshments (some alcoholic, some non) to strollers. An official "passport" is encouraged if you plan to visit every store. Your completed passport can be returned to any of the participating retailers before the end of the night for entry to win a basket with local goodies and gift certificates. The first stop on a long list of 21 was Twilight a contemporary womens clothing and accessories boutique located at 12 Fleet Street. Twilight was generously offering a 20% discount on all dresses. They feature chic night-on-the-town ensembles from modern designers such as Nicole Miller, BCBG and Betsey Johnson. We were greeted immediately upon entering and offered a glass raspberry soaked champagne punch and treated to a generous spread of mini cupcakes, cookies and chocolate dipped strawberries. As we made our way down the far end of Hanover Street we visited Phillips Salon, Casa di Stile another trendy clothing boutique, a Matter of Face cosmetics and skin care shop and in-jean-ius - a clothing store specializing in you guessed it - jeans! Veggies and wine were offered at a Matter of Face. Brightly colored candy jars and shaken Stoli Blueberry vodka & pink lemonade drinks greeted us at in-jean-ius.
But the best spread by far was at the Fairmont Battery Wharf. This luxury hotel is slightly off the beaten path but the spot on the stroll not to be missed. The hospitality was pleasantly overwhelming, as was this hot chocolate and cider bar. Talk about going all out! Check out these whipped cream toppings. My decadent Italian hot chocolate is topped with pink peppermint whipped cream and crushed heath bar.The toppings didn't stop there. From crushed candy cane to brandy infused whipped cream, to chocolate and caramel sauces and of course mini marshmallows, I wanted to top my drink with a spoonful of each! They also had a cookie bar where we choose from a fresh baked assortment of gingerbread men and women, chocolate chip or cranberry oatmeal. They were soft, chewy and topped on the spot with cream cheese frosting.
We hung out for awhile and even had our picture taken with Santa.
On our way out I couldn't resist another go round at the hot drink table. I sampled the cider and piled it with the brandy whipped cream and caramel sauce. From here we backtracked down the other side of Hanover stopping at the newly opened Sava Studios which is a photography studio and clothing boutique in one. A unique concept owned by a professional sister team, Stephanie is the photographer and studio manager and Christine the make-up artist and retail manager. We browsed the North End Gallery, made a quick stop in at North Bennet Street School, sipped white wine in Sedurre and browsed the clothing racks and jewelry tables at one of my favorites offering more affordable fashions, Bobbles & Lace. Bobbles & Lace is located at 26 Prince Street. 

The last stop before Adam and I parted ways was at Clutch hidden way over on 101 Endicott Street. Clutch is a newly opened high end consignment shop. The staff was super friendly offering an expansive champagne and cheese and cracker spread.
The Velvet Fly on Parmenter is a mix of modern and vintage designer clothing, shoes and handbags.
They also poured champagne which complimented the sweet chocolate peppermint bark.Vintage Santa was a festive touch!From here I made my wait into two Salem Street favorites. I visit both Aquire and Shake the Tree often in search of treasures, trinkets and any occasion gift items. They are, for me, neighborhood staples.
Acquire (above) is an interior design boutique that specializes in a mix of contemporary and antique household décor and furniture. Shake the Tree is a trendy boutique featuring unique gift items, eclectic kitchen ware and funky household treasures among designer clothing racks, mixed-media jewelry and stylish handbags.
I cut over to the beginning of Hanover Street where a few more shops awaited. High Gear Jewelry offers a wide array of high quality jewelry at varying price points, beginning at affordable. High Gear offered shoppers White Pear Arbor Mist and chips. Next door is LIT Boutique one of the larger clothing shops in the North End, that also begins at an affordable price point. I've scored some decent deals on cute dresses and tops here. The staff are always super sweet and helpful. They poured a sample of LaMarca Prosecco. (I'm tipsy now so a small portion is probably a good thing!)I'm almost done! Midway down Hanover you'll find Sol Optics the local sunglasses boutique. On the next block is The Wine Bottega specializing in small production hand crafted wines from around the globe. Their motto is based off the fact that wine is a journey, not a destination.Exposed brick walls, tastefully designed tapestries and polished wood shelving create a warm and inviting space. At The Wine Bottega, they are passionate about discovering new wines and sharing these discoveries with us. They offered a tasting of four wines; two whites, a red and a tawny porto downstairs in their cozy wine cellar. I ended up purchasing the red, a Gianna Bonarda Vivace 2007. Bonarda is an unusual red grape from Oltrepò Pavese area in the Lombardy region of Northern Italy. I chatted with the owner Kerri Platt who recommended me a great bottle of inexpensive champagne. I wouldn't mind a staircase like this in my own home. Also loving the multi-tiered light fixture.Last but not least was Eclectic, a newly opened furniture and gift shop featuring refurbished dressers and night stands, décor with a nautical themed touch, funky modern bar stools, as well as wine glasses and wall art. Here I drank my last glass of white wine and turned in my Passport before calling it a night. I picked up a some quality Christmas presents (and maybe one or two things for myself!) along the way. Buon Natale is a fun festive opportunity to discover new and support existing favorite local boutiques and galleries while experiencing the hospitality of the neighborhood. Since I am always sharing where to eat in the North End, it was fun to show you where to shop! As far as Christmastime city traditions go, this one ranks high on my list!

28 comments:

  1. How fun! The BH Holiday Stroll is on Thursday and I look forward to it every year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun, fun night!! I am a serious shopper haha and do regular shopping strolls on my own, I wish I could've gone here! Oh and you definitely need to pick up one or two gifts for yourself when Christmas shopping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive you went to each store and impressive Adam went with you! That hot chocolate bar is amazing! Bobbles & Lace is the store I miss the most in the North End; can always count on finding something unique and affordable there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to check out some of these stores. Really, I just need to spend more time in the North End in general. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loh-ve this! Fancy schmancy food, awesome shopping, fabulous combo! They never do anything this cool in Savannah, plus it isn't very cold here so it doesn't feel Christmasy. Boo! Happy Monday! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun. I need to get into The Velvet Fly soon. I love that store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an awesome night, I wish we had something like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooo sad I decided to pass this up, I can't believe all the food!!!! Pastries and mini cupcakes!! Hot chocolate and cider bar??? Caramel whipped cream??? So sad. But glad I can enjoy it vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a serious stroll... I think the South End version is this Wednesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah so sad I missed this. Looks awesome! Living in the North End has a lot of perks !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to go! I'm so jealous you went, I should have met you. So you dragged Adam? haha
    Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome - wish we had something like that here. Liquor + snacks and candy = don't mind if I do buy myself a gift or two!

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Daisy! So much fun...love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. woah, had i known about the food involved, I would have tried to go :) also, i haven't had arbor mist since high school.. memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am SO sad i missed out on this!!! looks like a really fun time!
    i'm from Boston too so i'm pumped to discover your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg that hot chocolate is the best thing I've ever seen!!! I would drive 12 hrs for that haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmhmm...this looked like so much fun! i def want to hit velvet fly!
    just for that we are now headed out to taste a white chocolate peppermint latte...taste of the season in kf's honor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness. Could your night have gotten ANY better? Shopping, discounts, drinks, CARAMEL FLAVORED WHIPPED CREAM??? I'm sold! I want to go next year. :)

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always forget about this!! Next year I must go :) I also always forget how many cute shops there are in the North End besides just restaurants. That hot chocolate bar looks out of this world! Makes me want to have some, esp with pretty pink whipped cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing recap! Each and every store was so gorgeous that I wish I were there to visit.

    Especially love the candy display!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I lived in the North End that might just be my favorite night of the year! What a festive evening and great way to support local businesses! Plus, brandy infused whipped cream, sign.me.up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - that is one heck of a stroll! I wouldn't have made the whole thing! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE this recap! Your passport looked so fun by the end with a mark from every store! I am definitely making this an annual tradition!

    ReplyDelete