Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Noir Bar | Harvard Square

Last Thursday night pre G&D's cookie tasting at Clover I had the pleasure of joining some friends at Noir Bar for drinks and appetizers.
Noir Bar is a sultry and intriguing cocktail den located inside the Charles Hotel at 1 Bennet Street in Harvard Square. Low movie theater-esque lighting, deep set black booths and red accented décor set the scene where an extensive 3 page drink list awaits. We each chose something vastly different. Megan's love of St. Germain steered her to the Signature "Film Noir" Drink menu for a Scarlet Street ($13) st. germain elderflower liqueur, blood orange purée, champagne. These next two drinks are off the "Case for Classic Cocktails" menu. I went with the Periodista ($12) myers’s dark rum, cointreau, apricot brandy & fresh lime. I was in the mood for a dark alcohol, so Myer's Rum fit the bill, but it was the apricot brandy that I ended up loving. I also tend to gravitate towards drinks with fresh lime. Meghan warmed up with a Sazerac ($12) new orleans style – old overholt rye whiskey, peychaud’s bitters, simple syrup & a touch of ricard pastis.Emily joined us as well, her drink of choice was a glass of Malbec. Noir Bar offers a 5-4-3 happy hour deal known as Noir Bites where each week they feature a $5 flatbread, $4 sandwich and $3 snack. We munched on the 5 and the 3! Avocado dip ($3) w sage, spicy tomato and walnut. I didn't get much spice or tomato, but I did appreciate the thick chunks of avocado and the creamy nuttiness of the walnuts. You can't beat a plate full of chips and glorified guacamole for $3! The Flatbread ($5) w anchovies, capers, olive paste and goat cheese was expectedly salty.The flavors proved more balanced in the Grilled Flatbread ($10) w dried peaches, goat cheese, prosciutto & balsamic reduction with arugula off the regular bar menu. Noir Bar keeps it classy yet affordable. I would be content to linger over cocktails and 5-4-3 Happy Hour plates any day of the week.

This post is a little more than its title. What else?  

Its a pie, mate!
After Brekky I made sure to purchase a mini meat pie to-go from KO Catering & Pies. These savory Australian treats can be kept refrigerated and popped in a 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes. A steaming flaky pastry stuffed with flavorful beef and melted cheese, down under eats have proved a worthy cuisine in my book.
I owe it to owners Cara & Sam for bringing a taste of the Australian outback to South Boston. You owe it to yourself to make way to 87 A Street for a taste of the coveted meat pies. They even made Stuff Magazine's list of "Best 25 Things We Ate This Year".
Geoff & Drew's Double Fudge Chunk makes an appearance for dessert. 
Bringing up the rear in a week of good eating and drinking are some beloved - no stranger to the blog - North End favorites. Take out from our local brick oven pizza restaurant Antico Forno as I headed home from Urban Grape's holiday party with a nice wine buzz, was just the ticket!
Two pie's for Adam and I; a classic Margherita ($12) fresh buffalo mozzarella, plum tomato sauce and fresh basil drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and the inventive Vesuvio ($15.50) Fresh imported buffalo mozzarella, roasted peppers, ricotta cheese, cherry tomatoes, finished with fresh sliced prosciutto. Antico Forno never disappoints. And neither does Boston Common Coffee Co. A tasty Egg Nog Latte made with half egg nog, half whole milk was warm and frothy with just a touch of sweetness. As I ventured to spend time with Adam's family in Quincy on Tuesday I sipped it while I rode the T.
I haven't been cooking at all lately! And so it goes....

15 comments:

  1. GOsh I wish I had your diet lol. You make things I never even thought I would eat look good haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. You fit a lot of eating and non-cooking in this week! The meat pie looks delish! I'm already craving another of those Scarlet Street cocktails. Loved it! Hope we see each other soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang! i want a meat pie! and that is a really interesting avocado dip. i have never seen avocado paired with sage or walnut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a meat pie before. Christian's dad gives him one every year for Christmas, but I just can't bring myself to try it. Maybe this year I'll take the plunge!
    I've been wanting to go to Noir. Now I know I need to get there just for the flatbread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I need the Vesuvio pizza. And the meat pie looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's so much food in this post!! haha. The crust on your meat pie looks absolutely heavenly. I really need to get back there to try the veggie pie, if just to try the crust. Also, I'm totally fiending over the dried peach pizza at Noir. I totally have to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you've been busy! Antico Forno looks super good and authentic. I'll have to check it out. In other news, I am now starving and craving anything from meat pies to pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After last Friday's cooking extravaganza, I haven't been cooking at all! I really need to get back into it and will definitely be staying in tonight to cook something to cure this nasty post-office holiday party hangover :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh. . . I have been eating really healthily this week and was sooooo craving pizza last night at midnight! Those photos look SO good! I need to fit pizza into my day today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely need to check out Noir's happy hour deals! And the Curried Vegetable Pie sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Scarlett Street drink is right up my alley...love St. G too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, a meat pie and blue moon. I think you just described my husbands favorite meal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy YUM!
    That pie looked AMAZING!
    It's a pity it was a meat-filled pie... I'm not exactly a meat lover :P
    But, still.. drool-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great wrap-up of all you've been up to! that meat pie looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete